Religion......is it worth losing the one you love? | Teen Ink

Religion......is it worth losing the one you love?

By dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois
dark_roses14 PLATINUM, Mazon, Illinois

play the music, turn it up loud, dance around, and drown out reality

What religion are you? Catholic, Christian, Islamic, Lutheran, Wiccan? Does it really matter?
You may meet a Jewish person and befriend them. Then you may meet a Christian who doesn't like Jewish people. Do you befriend them because you don't care about their religion?
What if you meet a girl and date her? You've been with me for 2 years and you've told me that you love me. You ask me if I'd go to church with you because your family is Catholic. I say I can't and of course you ask why. I say I practice Wiccan and don't go to church. You're in awe. You know Wiccan is witchcraft. You become scared that I might curse you if you make me mad. I tell you you're being ridiculous. Religion shouldn't matter if you love someone for who they are. You decide to tell your parents and they freak. They tell you, your not allowed to see me anymore. You run to your room and call me. I answer in tears, and you tell me what happened. I cry harder and says that your parents are cruel and so are you. I hang up on you and you put the phone down slowly. You can't believe what happened. You just lost the one you truely loved all because of religion. You see me the next day at school and tell me that you still love me and that I was right. You shouldn't judge someone based on religion. So you kiss me and ask if you can ever make it up to me. I say you can buy me dinner.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

"Meeting you was fate, becoming your friend was a choice, but falling in love with you was beyond my control."

Wicca = Worship of the Earth. That is the main idea. Not all Wiccans go with witchcraft. And when you think about it, Earth = the Christian god's prized creation. So what is so wrong with wanting to take care of it? You can all go and wait for Jesus to return while we protect his animals and his people and his Earth.

BlueRain BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Religion ruins relationships unless you're of the same religion.

bemark12 BRONZE, Lawrence, Kansas

"God put me on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind that I will never die." - Bill Watterson

Well, I think there are a few problems here. 

1) For many people, their religion actually plays a huge role in defining who they are. My faith influences my everyday decisions, outlook and worldview, and I think I'd probably have a difficult time loving someone who was on totally different wavelengths in certain areas. 

2) I find the initial question of this article interesting. For the Christian, the priority is to love and obey God; he is the "first love." So a better question might be, dating... is it worth losing your first love? 

3) A Christian yoked to someone who they honestly believe is going to Hell? That's not going to work out well. The Christian either has to compromise his/her beliefs about some of the most important things in nature or live in fear for their loved one. 

I think religion does matter. I think it's a little naive to say it doesn't. 

I'm not saying there might not be some happy inter-religious couples out there, but this whole article seems to live under the presumption that happiness is the main thing, when I've found very little evidence in my life to prove that fact. 

ambnyc SILVER said...
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

I think it's ridiculous to reject someone because they are not of the same religion as you. Seriously? Because you don't believe in the same invisible, non-existant being, you're going to deny yourself a chance at happiness?

Sad... Just another unfortunate by-product of religion.

VandalSpirit DIAMOND, Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of Gods great love, we are not consumed. His compassion never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

i totally agree with this comment. according to the Christian faith, you are not to be "unevenly yoked" and im sorry but God is more important to me than a relationship that may or may not last, and personally i couldnt stand to watch someone i might spend the rest of my life with opposing the one thing i love. nothing good could come of it

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
so basiccly if your not with God your against him???

ellie315 GOLD said...
ellie315 GOLD, South Pasadena, California

"And this, our life, exempt from public haunt, finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." -- William Shakespeare

I understand that Wicca is not a demonic religion - I am sorry if the comment insinuated that I thought that. I wouldn't say necessarily against but yes, that is the jist of it.

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
I'm Wiccan we don't believe in the devil, and our number one rule is Harm None. i don't see how that could be evil or Demonic. for god is it like if your not with me your against me?

ellie315 GOLD said...

Anything that doesn't honor/worship God is automatically worshipping the opposite. Witchcraft is traditionally a sign of demonic power, though I understand it is not traditionally a Wiccan idea.

ellie315 GOLD said...

It isn't hypocritical, it's inevitable. The bible says we need equal yokage - we, as believes of God, are called to enter into romantic relationships that honor God before anything else - therefore, the person we love must be a Christian. 

ellie315 GOLD said...

Well, for someone of the Christian faith - our religion DEFINES love, our God IS love, and the person we love must accept the same truths. I don't date people who aren't Christians because I believe that only someone who knows the truth and love of God knows what truth and love really are, and only a relationship that centers around THAT truth can be a stable, loving one. 

Opposing faiths usually do force a wedge between romantic relations because many people who are religious place their religion very high on their list of priorities. 

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
really? i wouldn't change my religion for the person i loved but i wouldn't ask them too change either. 

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
she is refering to Wicca as devil worshipping (i think) wich iy isn't. Wiccans don't believe in the devil.

andromeda13 SILVER, Barrie, Other
okay first of all, being Wiccan and Christain is very much impossible. first Wiccans believe in the God and the Goddess, Christains believe in one almighty God, the Crisain religion also says, there is only one God. so i don't see how that can work out??? Not judging just asking for an axplaination.

Contemplator SILVER, Lake Park, Minnesota

There is a rainbow in your mouth! Open it up and show the world.
This is just like ice cream without the cream.
I'm as stiff as a dried out twig in the middle of winter.
Who lit the forest fire; the match, or the man holding the match?

The only way to end hatred is to get rid of Satan. Sauronauk has a good point. God gave us the freedom of choice. He did that to make our love (or hatred) toward him greater.

We choose who we want to follow, but only one actually loves us. I want you to tell me of ONE belief that says 'God loves you, so he died for us'? (That was a simplified quote from the bible).

You are right in your last statement of your first comment. God prevails, but only one. I want to be on the boat. Not in the sea. 

Spenser BRONZE said...
Spenser BRONZE, Amawalk, New York
There's a term for what you are, it's called "Unitarian" or "Universalist".

LifeWriter13, you say that how can religion play a HUGE part of a person's life. Well it does for me and my family. But we don't call it "religion", we call it a deep connection to God. A relationship to our Creator. I can understand why your confused, I've been there before. There are so many religions these days that people get way too confused which is the true one. But if you use your heart and mind, you'll find who is real and who is not.

spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution PLATINUM, Eugene, Oregon
i think losing someone you love over a difference in religion is probably hypocritical to the religion in the first place, nice paper

TrinityCreed said...
I can see where you are coming from and, you are right, humans do have a tendencey to love and hate. But there has to be a way to end our hatred towards others.

Sauronauk BRONZE, Brandon, Florida

"Real friends stab you in the front." -Jonathan Davis

TrinityCreed, the only problem is that 'man', and the world for that matter, has become too opinion based, and people are generally disgusted at the thought of change and or difference. Humanity is too conflicting, because we DO have opinions and ARE able to think. Thinking is a gateway to both hatred and love. Although in these more modern days, I believe most people's minds lean towards hatred and rivolting behavior.