Homosexual Marriage | Teen Ink

Homosexual Marriage

April 2, 2011
By VLythia GOLD, Dallas, Georgia
VLythia GOLD, Dallas, Georgia
12 articles 2 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Guys, I think I'm gonna join clown school... But that means I have to grow size 15 feet and a big red nose. Naw, I'll just learn to fake it, but that's after I get an afro."


“Did you guys see Katie and her girlfriend? I thought it was pretty disgusting.” I put my head down and tried to drown out the conversation. This is when everyone at the only freshman table in B lunch started bashing homosexuals. Desperately, I turned up the music on my iPod as the conversation turned to gay marriage rights.

Never have I ever thought of homosexuality as something abnormal. Two girls or two guys kissing in the hall turns some heads, but I’m that person who walks right on by just like it’s any other couple making out in the high school hallways, and to me, it is. Homosexual love movies to me are just another romantic film, while to others it’s something of major controversy.

Another fact to throw into my opinion that may appall some, is that I am indeed a Baptist Christian. I read the bible and go to church when I can. I pray, have a few Christian music CD’s, and even occasionally bring my Bible with me to school. Yet, I’m one of those people you see at Gay Pride Parades.

God has always been a loving and forgiving figure in my life. Someone I look up to, someone who always, no matter what the scenario, understands. Lust is a sin. Any Christian knows this, but love, what does that mean? It means devoting your heart and life to someone. This is what God wants for everyone: to love and be loved.

I would love for someone to tell me that loving another human being is a sin, because in my honest opinion, God would never, ever send someone to hell for loving someone else, man or woman. If you were to say that, you’re erasing everything we ever learned about God.

So why shouldn’t two people of the same sex be tied in matrimony, something that symbolizes us devoting ourselves, heart, soul, and life, to one other person. Never to look at anyone else in the same way, it’s something that binds two people for life. So, if God wants us to love one other person the way two people should, why should anyone be denied the right to perform the ceremony the symbolizes a life of faithfulness.

Homosexual marriage should be legalized. The fact that it isn’t is something is what makes so many people weep, lose faith in the Lord, and what highly offends me.