Homosexual Marriage | Teen Ink

Homosexual Marriage

By VLythia GOLD, Dallas, Georgia
VLythia GOLD, Dallas, Georgia

"Guys, I think I'm gonna join clown school... But that means I have to grow size 15 feet and a big red nose. Naw, I'll just learn to fake it, but that's after I get an afro."

“Did you guys see Katie and her girlfriend? I thought it was pretty disgusting.” I put my head down and tried to drown out the conversation. This is when everyone at the only freshman table in B lunch started bashing homosexuals. Desperately, I turned up the music on my iPod as the conversation turned to gay marriage rights.

Never have I ever thought of homosexuality as something abnormal. Two girls or two guys kissing in the hall turns some heads, but I’m that person who walks right on by just like it’s any other couple making out in the high school hallways, and to me, it is. Homosexual love movies to me are just another romantic film, while to others it’s something of major controversy.

Another fact to throw into my opinion that may appall some, is that I am indeed a Baptist Christian. I read the bible and go to church when I can. I pray, have a few Christian music CD’s, and even occasionally bring my Bible with me to school. Yet, I’m one of those people you see at Gay Pride Parades.

God has always been a loving and forgiving figure in my life. Someone I look up to, someone who always, no matter what the scenario, understands. Lust is a sin. Any Christian knows this, but love, what does that mean? It means devoting your heart and life to someone. This is what God wants for everyone: to love and be loved.

I would love for someone to tell me that loving another human being is a sin, because in my honest opinion, God would never, ever send someone to hell for loving someone else, man or woman. If you were to say that, you’re erasing everything we ever learned about God.

So why shouldn’t two people of the same sex be tied in matrimony, something that symbolizes us devoting ourselves, heart, soul, and life, to one other person. Never to look at anyone else in the same way, it’s something that binds two people for life. So, if God wants us to love one other person the way two people should, why should anyone be denied the right to perform the ceremony the symbolizes a life of faithfulness.

Homosexual marriage should be legalized. The fact that it isn’t is something is what makes so many people weep, lose faith in the Lord, and what highly offends me.

starfeather PLATINUM, Olathe, Kansas

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA- to the stars, through difficulties.

I look at homosexuality as a sin. But not a greater sin than any other. The wages of any sin is death, so that is why the Bible says a lot of things are punishable by death. But the whole point is that God forgives you. A little Law and Gospel for you. :)

VLythia GOLD said...
VLythia GOLD, Dallas, Georgia

Actually, as of recent times, I do believe the Bible is imperfect. If you actually studied the Bible and did your research, you'd be amazed at how many mistranslations I have found.

rockstardream GOLD, I&#39m Not Saying, Georgia

"If you dream it you can do it." ~Walt Disney

Being Christian, I actually don't agree with gay marriage rights. However, if a person wants to love someone of the same gender, let them: That is there choice to choose. And I'm glad that you brought up the matter of condemning people. When people ask me if I'm for gay rights, and I reply no, their first response is usually "So God is gonna send me to hell, right?". It's not a sin to be gay, but it's also not Christian-like. So while I don't think a gay person may be banished to Hell, it's still up for debate in my opinion. Nicely written article though.

VLythia GOLD said...
VLythia GOLD, Dallas, Georgia

No, I don't think the bible is imperfect, I think it can be taken in different ways depending on who's reading it. We're humans, we see things the way we want to see it, not how we should. 

I just refuse to believe that God you condemn someone for loving someone as a person, as a wife or husband. I was always taught that it was a sin to lust after anyone, not to love.

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Sorry, I hadn't seen that the first one had posted. :)

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Then do you think parts of the B.ible are imperfect, that you just skim over all the condemnations against g.ayness?

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

So is the B.ible imperfect, that you can skim over parts?

VLythia GOLD said...
VLythia GOLD, Dallas, Georgia

...I'm pretty sure I clarified that quite enough.

Destinee BRONZE, Oakville, Other

Blegh. - Abraham Lincoln

Are you C.hristian?