My Testimony about Baptism | Teen Ink

My Testimony about Baptism

June 9, 2013
By HannahLouise1321 DIAMOND, Delaware, Ohio
HannahLouise1321 DIAMOND, Delaware, Ohio
63 articles 0 photos 8 comments

Today, June 9th, I got baptized at my church at the 11:30 service. I remember when I was younger, say 7 or 8 years old, my dad would always explain to me the joyous feeling one receives after getting baptized. At that time, all I worried about was whether or not we were going to go outside and play kickball in youth group. Baptism was never the first thing to cross my mind. But then, as I continued to grow older and as my faith started to deepen and develop, I witnessed more and more baptisms, which resulted in a more curious and admirable wonder about baptism itself.

I never expected to feel such a nervous shake in my legs as I stood on that stage. In front of thousands of people, including my mom, aunt and uncle, my brother and sister, a family friend, and a special friend of mine and his father, I was in awe of how deeply I could feel the Lord’s embrace.

Some people might see baptism as nothing more than a public display of someone’s dedication to God: they get dunked in the water and then it’s over. However, when you’re the one getting baptized, it’s much more than that. Before I stepped into the water, a friendly church leader took hold of my hands and prayed for me. I’ll never forget that prayer; her choice of words, the gentle, soft tone of her voice, and the tenderness touch of her fingers nearly brought me to tears. It was definitely an emotional time, and I’ll never forget how I got to witness the mighty power of the Holy Spirit’s presence surrounding me.

Finally, I took hold of the railing and stepped down into the small pool of water. I knew everyone could see my face and name displayed on the screen above, and that made me a little anxious. However, as the preacher placed his hand on top of my head and began to pray, I closed my eyes and at that very moment, all I could see was the Lord. At last, I am dunked underwater. At that moment, I knew my life was about to change. I knew God was going to transform me into someone bigger and better.

Baptism is more than just another “Christian thing”. Baptism is a big deal and it’s definitely a huge thing to celebrate. As you go under that water, you are identifying the rebirth of Jesus Christ. And as you are brought back above the water, you become a changed person. The Holy Spirit shines a light on you and cleanses away your sins, it’s magic that you can actually feel.


The author's comments:
I just wanted to share out my baptism experience. In the past, I never saw baptism as a huge deal. A lot of people who have never been baptized may not be able to see the wonderful, miraculous changes that baptism can bring upon a person. I hope this testimony encourages other Christians to consider baptism and celebrate it.