My Testimony about Baptism | Teen Ink

My Testimony about Baptism

By HannahLouise1321 DIAMOND, Delaware, Ohio
HannahLouise1321 DIAMOND, Delaware, Ohio

Today, June 9th, I got baptized at my church at the 11:30 service. I remember when I was younger, say 7 or 8 years old, my dad would always explain to me the joyous feeling one receives after getting baptized. At that time, all I worried about was whether or not we were going to go outside and play kickball in youth group. Baptism was never the first thing to cross my mind. But then, as I continued to grow older and as my faith started to deepen and develop, I witnessed more and more baptisms, which resulted in a more curious and admirable wonder about baptism itself.

I never expected to feel such a nervous shake in my legs as I stood on that stage. In front of thousands of people, including my mom, aunt and uncle, my brother and sister, a family friend, and a special friend of mine and his father, I was in awe of how deeply I could feel the Lord’s embrace.

Some people might see baptism as nothing more than a public display of someone’s dedication to God: they get dunked in the water and then it’s over. However, when you’re the one getting baptized, it’s much more than that. Before I stepped into the water, a friendly church leader took hold of my hands and prayed for me. I’ll never forget that prayer; her choice of words, the gentle, soft tone of her voice, and the tenderness touch of her fingers nearly brought me to tears. It was definitely an emotional time, and I’ll never forget how I got to witness the mighty power of the Holy Spirit’s presence surrounding me.

Finally, I took hold of the railing and stepped down into the small pool of water. I knew everyone could see my face and name displayed on the screen above, and that made me a little anxious. However, as the preacher placed his hand on top of my head and began to pray, I closed my eyes and at that very moment, all I could see was the Lord. At last, I am dunked underwater. At that moment, I knew my life was about to change. I knew God was going to transform me into someone bigger and better.

Baptism is more than just another “Christian thing”. Baptism is a big deal and it’s definitely a huge thing to celebrate. As you go under that water, you are identifying the rebirth of Jesus Christ. And as you are brought back above the water, you become a changed person. The Holy Spirit shines a light on you and cleanses away your sins, it’s magic that you can actually feel.

I just wanted to share out my baptism experience. In the past, I never saw baptism as a huge deal. A lot of people who have never been baptized may not be able to see the wonderful, miraculous changes that baptism can bring upon a person. I hope this testimony encourages other Christians to consider baptism and celebrate it.

iWriteForFood SILVER, Murfreesboro, Tennessee

"Logic will get you from point A to point B. Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Albert Einstein

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing your baptism! I celebrated my one-year re-birthday a few months ago, and I definitely agree that baptism is something that changes your life!

on Jun. 23 2013 at 9:17 am
liveloud70x7 SILVER, Private, California

“You do not immortalize the lost by writing about them. Language buries, but does not resurrect.” --john green

"self-consciousness is the enemy of all creativity" --ray bradbury

"We suffer each other to have each other a while." -Li-Young Lee

Thanks for sharing about your baptism! Baptism is definitely something. It's a public display of a Christian's decision to walk with God, yes, but it's so personal when you're the one being baptized. At my church, they have us share our testimonies - just about a few minutes long - right before we get dunked. :) I love hearing people's personal stories of how they met Christ, and their struggles and victories since. Baptism is such a wonderful thing.

DifferentTeen PLATINUM, Seaford, Delaware

"There’s no such thing as true love, just spurts of insanity—falling over and over again, thinking that won’t happen to me"

As a Catholic, I was baptized as a baby. So I don't have an input on what my experience was like for I was only a child. But, I just don't understand the whole "Holy Spirit in your body" thing. It's just not something I believe in, I guess. But, I agree Baptism is meaningful to any religious person, or at least it should be. Congratulations on your Baptism!  

TargonTheDragon GOLD, Ofallon, Missouri

First dentistry was painless.
Then bicycles were chainless,
Carriages were horseless,
And many laws enforceless.

Next cookery was fireless,
Telegraphy was wireless,
Cigars were nicotineless,
And coffee caffeineless.

Soon oranges were seedless,
The putting green was weedless,
The college boy was hatless,
The proper diet fatless.

New motor roads are dustless,
The latest steel is rustless,
Our tennis courts are sodless,
Our new religion — godless.

yay! this totally made my day. its awesome that you realize the weight of your decision, and that you dont just blow it off as something else on your to-do list. im so happy for you!!!!

SusieQ said...
I really appreciated hearing your testimony. I've also been baptized, and I was really nerous about it. I was baptized just kneeling and the minister sprinkled water on my head. It was really tense until he accidently poured the water in my lap instead of on my head. :-)   So glad to hear of someone else living for the Lord!!! God bless you!!

on Jun. 14 2013 at 2:51 am
danicosta BRONZE, Al-Khobar, Other
I loved reading about your baptism experience. As a fellow baptized Christian who can relate to the jittery knees only too well, great job!