Ultimatum | Teen Ink

Ultimatum

By CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina
CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Lego ergo sum (Latin—I read, therefore, I am)
The pen is mightier than the sword—unknown
Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity—1 Timothy 4:12

What is worth the ultimate sacrifice? Seriously. What are you willing to die for? Heroes in books and movies are typically willing to die to save the world. Martyrs are willing to die for what they believe in. Soldiers are willing to die to protect their country.

Many heroes give their lives to save the lives of others. Life is precious, but is life worth dying for? I believe it is. I believe that a true hero is one who does the right thing, always, without asking for recognition, without regard for the cost to themselves. Bravery, determination, strength, and fast thinking are good qualities to have, but selflessness is what makes a hero.

Do you have it in you? It’s rare that ordinary people are called on to make the ultimate sacrifice, but it does happen. If given a choice between something you know is right and something you know is wrong, would you have the courage to make the right choice and then deal with the consequences, whatever they were?

You really don’t know whether you can until you get in that situation, and you might not ever. Most people don’t. But you never know what will happen. Life is never, ever predictable. The things you least expect happen when you least expect them.

Think about the 9/11 emergency responders. The teachers in the Newtown shooting. Many in our military, who die defending their comrades and our freedom. These heroes rose to the occasion, defending the lives of others without regard to personal sacrifice, or possibly in spite of the personal sacrifice involved. Many of them died for it. They were selfless.

On 9/11, there is a forgotten story, hidden among the falling Twin Towers. Another plane, United Airlines Flight 93, was hijacked by suicide bombers, and rerouted, intending to crash into the White House or the Capitol building. The passengers of the plane revolted against the hijackers, fighting for control of the plane. One of the passengers, a business executive named Thomas Burnett, Jr., told his wife over the phone, "I know we’re all going to die. There’s three of us who are going to do something about it. I love you, honey.” They crashed in Pennsylvania soon after, and the crash killed all aboard.

The greatest example of the ultimate sacrifice is found in John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that He gave his only son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” Jesus Christ died so that we might have life eternal. “For God did not send His son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through Him.” (John 3:17) He did it out of love.

As a Christian, I’m called to live out my faith, to be Christ to a lost and hurting world. But the question I sometimes have to ask myself is how far am I willing to go? Would I be willing to make that sacrifice to do the right thing, to save someone else?

Could you do it? Could you, in the midst of chaos, while the world is crashing and burning around you, stand up for what’s right and make the ultimate sacrifice? It’s sobering to think about, to come to terms with your own mortality, to evaluate what you believe in. But think about it anyway.

Is life worth dying for?

John 3:16-17, NIV

"I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes." Romans 1:16

the-mormon-introvert GOLD, Alpine, Utah

Even when the dark comes crashing through, When you need a friend to carry you, And when you're broken on the ground, You will be found
--Evan Hansen, Dear Evan Hansen

Amazing. I love it. This is an important message to everyone, not just Christians. Good job :)

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

That, I think, depends entirely on the situation. Sometimes, but sometimes not. Thanks for the comment:)

Mrs_Babble_Dolittle SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia

"What we call our destiny is truly our character and that character can be altered."
"If I speak in human or angelic tongues, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal."
"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts."

What a powerful piece. Do you think that honor/glory is worth dying for?

TaylorCortre BRONZE, Albuquerque, New Mexico
I love this piece, it is thought provoking and forces the reader to search their soul. I am a devout Christian myself and so I think that I can relate in a way that some of these other commenters can't. It's something I've forced myself to look at time and time again. I think all you can do is make the choice now that you will do it. It will be easier then. Anyways I loved the piece, I did think that the line "The things you least expect happen when you least expect them." was a little oddly worded, but besides that it flowed smoothly. You have a talent, keep writing.

A-C-Y BRONZE said...
A-C-Y BRONZE, New Taipei City, Other
I'm not Christian, but I still enjoyed your writing! Your deep insights and personal opinion got me thinking about the question myself: Am I willing to make the sacrifice? To be honest, I don't know. But thank you for this, I really enjoyed reading it! :)

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Thanks:) God bless!

Allen. PLATINUM, Palo Alto, California

[i]No matter how much people try to put you down or make you think other things about yourself, the only person you can trust about who you really are is you[/i] -Crusher-P

I'm personally agnostic, but I do enjoy your writing. You write with passion and fervor, and it's sad we don't see that too often. I also very much like how well-thought-out this was. I can tell you've worked hard on it and edited it (possibly more than once). The one thing I would suggest is making it shorter, though that might just be my own attention span. Good work!

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Thank you so much! And you as well! :)

CaseyChickenWang SILVER, McDonough,

"No one likes half-jinglers! Jingle all the way!" - Shelley McNeight
"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." - GSUMUN

Omg CNBono. I read "The Odds of You" and this piece. I must say that I love your writings. It's so full of insight and personal reflection. I really admire the fact that you love writing about faith. God bless you :)

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Thank you so much!

EttieGH GOLD said...
EttieGH GOLD, Mbabane, Other
I really love this. Most of us today have beliefs that we go by, but we never really think further than what we do now and what's happening around us. It really gives people stuff to think about, whether or not we truly believe in or love what we say we do. This was really well-written and captivating.

CNBono17 SILVER, Rural, South Carolina

Thank you both!

BeautyWhispers PLATINUM, Nevada City, California

Be Yourself, Be Unique, Be Me. :) - By BeautyWhispers

This piece of work is amazing! It sucked me in from the very first word, and was very well written. Keep it up!

SilverLiner said...
SilverLiner, Accra, Other

"uhhhhhhhhh..."

i love it! and touché; the greatest ultimate sacrifice is indeed Christ's death... great work!