This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

January 8, 2019
By Anonymous

The only sport I have ever played was soccer, I have never thought about playing any other sports. Since the only sport I have ever played was soccer I decided to never try anything else, all that changed when I went to middle school.


I did like to to tumble and I had taught myself how to do many tricks. When I got to middle school I learned that they had a gymnastics team. I wasn’t sure if I would like it because there were many events that I have never tried before. I starting to think that I shouldn't do it because I would be the worst on the team. Very last minute I showed up to tryouts, I didn’t believe in myself at all. I thought that there is no way I would make the team. After tryouts we had to wait a couple of days to see whether I made it or not.  


I really didn’t think I would make it, but I did. When the first practice came around, I didn't think I would be as good as the other girls at all. I was the farthest behind. So I had thought ab quitting, I didn’t believe in myself at all, I was just going to give up.


Even though I didn't believe in myself, my teammates and coaches did. I decided to stay on the team. I worked as hard as I could to get better, I didn’t give up. If I fell I got back up, if it was a hard skill I would keep trying to get it right. It was hard me for me at times but I knew I could do it. I still do gymnastics to this day and I really enjoy it.


I believe that nobody should give up. It can be hard at times, but you should just keep going.  


The author's comments:

I wrote about things that I believe