Rebuilding on the Fly | Teen Ink

Rebuilding on the Fly

The New York Jets, a historic franchise that saw a hall of fame quarterback (Joe Namath), a superb running back that broke record (Ladainian Tomlinson), and arguable one of the best cornerbacks (Darrelle Revis) to ever play the game. The Jets only super bowl win was in 1968 against the Baltimore Colts, however since then, the Jets have come and gone and have been mostly in the basement of the AFC east division and have not made the playoffs since 2009 and 2010 where they were led by quarterback Mark Sanchez. Mark Sanchez was a hot and cold player and towards the later stages of his career he really fell of his game and eventually he was traded to the Philadelphia Eagles. However, since the Jets have not made a playoffs in 8 seasons, the Jets were fortunate enough to pick up a star quarterback in the 2018 draft. This could be the player that helps lead the charge out of the horrific slump that the Jets are in. Unfortunately, one player does not make up a team and the Jets need several key pieces in order to contend for the playoff. Consequently, the Jets do have some pieces in place, like safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye, quarterback Sam Darnold, defensive end Leonard Williams, and linebacker Daron Lee. Despite having some core talent in the organization the Jets are still falling short, they are in need of a running back and a #1 wide receiver. About half way through the 2018-2019 NFL season, the Jets have a dismal record of 3-9 and are looking like they are heading for another top draft pick in the 2019 NFL draft.

If the trend continues this season and the Jets finish with one of the worst records again this season, they will have to identify a top end prospect from college to draft. So far, the top prospects in the 2019 draft are, DE, Nick Bosa, DT, Quinnen Williams, and CB, Greedy Williams. When looking at various mock drafts, people are predicting that they will end up with the 3rd overall pick. Unfortunately, the Jets are in a tough spot because they are in need of a running back, and according to recent mock drafts by ESPN, the highest ranked RB projected to go in the 1s round is Damien Harris. Therefore, the Jets could do one of two things, they could trade down with a team, which would give them extra value and then they would be able to get the player of need later in the draft. The second option is the Jets stick with their top end pick and draft best player available when they are on the clock. If the Jets do indeed keep the trend of finishing last in league and draft “best available” at #1, that means that they will probably take DE Nick Bosa. Either way, whatever decision the Jets make, they should end up with a top end player and at the end of the day improve their team. However, as the 2018-19 season came to an end, the Jets made headlines by firing the head coach Todd Bowles. Todd Bowles was the head coach for 4 years, and the Jets missed the playoffs. Possible candidates for the head coaching position, are Josh McDaniels, Mike Mcarthy, Adam Gase, and Matt Campbell. However, it is important to any NFL organization that the head coach fits into the team’s systems and schemes. The Jets leading up to the 2019 season have to reshape and start fresh with a new offense, new players, and new staff and hopefully clinch a playoff birth since 2010.