Blow Whistles, Not Games | Teen Ink

Blow Whistles, Not Games

Entering the NFL postseason the New Orleans Saints were one of the favorites to contend for the super bowl. Winning the Super Bowl is one of the most coveted achievements in all of sports. The last step to get to the Super Bowl was the NFC championship. Kick off was at 4:05pm between the New Orleans Saints and the Los Angeles Rams, and the teams featured two of the most potent offenses in the NFL. The Rams had star players like Todd Gurley, Jared Goff, Aaron Donald and the Saints had Alvin Kamara, Drew Brees and Michael Thomas. With all of those stars in one game, the game was shaping up to be offensive outburst by both teams. However, the last thought for the result of the game was being decided by a missed call. Around the 4th quarter a Saints wide out was going out for a flat rout in the red zone. Rams cornerback Nickel Robey-Coleman tackled the Saints wide out before he caught the ball. From the referees perspective, they possibly could have not seen it, however, after the game it was discussed with the commissioner of the NFL, Roger Goodell, that the referees did indeed miss the call. A few days after the Sunday night conference championship game, Roger Goodell released a statement, “We understand the frustration of the fans.” Goodell went on to say, “We talked to Coach Payton, the team, the players. We understand the frustration that they feel right now. And we certainly want to address them.” Goodell also continued and talked about the referees, “Whenever officiating is part of any kind of discussion post-game, its never a good outcome for us…but we also know that our officials are human” (CBS Sports). That being said, yes referees are human and they are entitled to make mistakes, unfortunately because of the magnitude of the call it turned out to be highlighted more than previous incidents. However, just a week later the NFL pro bowl took place and Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan wore a shirt saying “Blow the whistle, not games” which was referring to that call. Unfortunately for Saints fans the outcome of the game was decided and could not be redone, and the Saints are going to have to wait until next season for revenge.

Dan-ILBai said...
Dan-ILBai, San Diego, California

"A house divided against itself, cannot stand." - Abraham Lincoln

YAY!!! AT LEAST SOMEONE AGREES WITH ME!!!!