The Weight Of Swimming | Teen Ink

The Weight Of Swimming

By Thomaszo19 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
Thomaszo19 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

Scared and nervous standing on the block with hundreds of eyes looking down at me. Heart racing as I look down the lane line at the calm water waiting for the referee to blow his whistle. The heat from the pool fogging up my goggles and the starting block still wet from the last swimmer. The other swimmers on either side of me stretching or waiting for the ref. My dad yelling at me from the stands with his phone up ready to record my swim. The starter with his white and black uniform blows his whistle, telling everyone to get on the starting blocks. Seconds later there's a loud beep and a flash of light and the swimmers dive into the water.

Swim meets are long and gruesome sometimes lasting a couple of hours. All those hours only to swim 3 events, meaning finding something to pass the time is a need. Sitting on the bench with my headphones on waiting for my next race. l was Listening to whatever I thought would get me ready for my race. Watching the other swimmers swim back and forth start to make me excited for my race. I’m seated first meaning that I'm the fastest in my event, which also means that everyone is going to try and beat me. I start to talk to my friends to try and hype my self up, saying Its only minutes until I line up in the waiting room to be walked out.

The time has come and I start my walk to the waiting room to be seated. I walk in and sat in the seat with a giant sign labeled 4 above it. Seeing all the other swimmers walk in, I started to get nerves. They were all significantly taller than I was and stronger. I started to think to myself self “how am I faster than these guys” and that maybe they submitted the wrong time. Still wearing my headphones I take out my phone and scroll through Spotify trying to find a good song to walk out to. One of the officials walked and told everyone to ready up and wait for further instructions. While I was waiting, I started stretching and jumping trying to do anything to get the adrenaline pumping before my race. Moments later, I hear the announcer say “Now for our A finalist for the 200 IM” and we all start walking out of the room. 

In a line, all of us walked out of the waiting room door and I was met with the scent of chlorine and cheer of the audience. Somewhere in all the screaming and cheering where the voices of my teammates. The walk to the starting block felt long, but every step gave me more energy. As I stood behind the block, I take off my headphones and putting them in the basket next to the timer. I put my cap and goggles on, while the ref signals us to get ready. I make sure to tighten my goggles with the small fear that they might fall off or get filled my water. The referee blows his whistle and I jump up on the block. I look into the spectators to find 100s of people looking down on me. This isn’t something I'm never done before, but I've never been “The guy to beat” before. 

The Ref blows one long whistle signaling us to get ready. Then two small whistles telling us to get on the blocks and to be ready. I press on my goggles making sure that there sealed tight. Once everyone is on the block the starter says “Take your mark”. At this point, adrenaline is coursing through me and I'm filled with energy. I bend down to grab the starting block making all my leg and arm muscles tighten up. A second later a loud beep and a flash of light and every muscle in my body extend and I leap off the block and into the air. I enter the frigid cold water with a perfect dive. As I enter the water it slingshots me forward to the center of the pool. Only seconds later I break the surface to find that I'm already in front of everyone else.

Cheering me on as I swim my back and forth is my coach. With her pink clipboard in one hand and blue pen in the other; she scrabbles to write my splits down. Two fingers in mouth whistling at me signaling that I'm going to get a Personal best if I keep up my past. Standing alongside her are my teammates wailing arms trying to motivate me to go faster. On my final lap, I use the rest of my remaining energy to Finish. I touch the wall and turn to look at my time and see my coach waving her arms in excitement.

Swimming is my passion and it drives me to make myself better. It is a way for me to improve mentally and physically. I have been doing it all my life, so it is essential in my daily routine. Without it, I would feel like a part of me was missing like a dark void just weighing me down. Swimming has opened many opportunities for me and is a skill that I don't want to lose.