At loss in lockdown? How to fill your time effectively. | Teen Ink

At loss in lockdown? How to fill your time effectively.

May 12, 2020
By Anonymous

Surreal might it be, much of the world is currently in lockdown. With the lack of freedom and social contact, many of us are struggling to find activities to keep us going. Don’t let that stop you from finding something new to do in these unprecedented times! Whether you see it as a positive or a negative, we may never get this long away from our studies and social lives again. Therefore we should use this time in the best way we can.

 


You don’t have to be an artist to get creative. There’s so much you can do, and often you’ll have something to show for it too. Why not try your hand at sewing? Practice some cross stitch, dig out your old sewing machine, sew a cushion cover or make face masks and scrubs for the NHS. That way, you can fill your time knowing you’re doing something to keep us moving forward. Sewing isn’t your thing? You could try playing an instrument, find your old clarinet and see what you can do, sing until your heart is content or even download the Garage Band app, to avoid spending any money. Perhaps you’re more of a crafty person. This is a great time to begin a new project, whether that be a painting, sculpture or even learn and use woodwork skills to create something like a jewellery box or stand.

 


Some readers may feel they enjoy a more academic approach. This is a great time to start learning a new language, do preparation for A-Level and University courses, choose from many of the online courses in a subject area of your choice, begin working a novel or even watch some fascinating documentaries to widen your knowledge.

 


If you’re more of a sports oriented person, this could be a great time to play sports with your family, pick up dance or yoga, workout or even just go on a run. A popular site to help with this is the NHS couch to 5k app, giving you a steady and achievable path into completing a 5K.

 


For some, this is a time where you just need some time out to relax. The news can be scary and overwhelming at times, but in the comfort of your home you could treat yourself to watching films, binging television series, have a candlelit bath or cosy up with a hot chocolate and book.

 

 

 

Don’t let the ‘pandemic pressure’ get to you! You don’t need to always be productive, wake up early and have a project on the go. Take every day as it comes, and think about what would be best for you. After all, your happiness and health should consistently be your top priority.