10 Biggest Sports Heros in Sports History | Teen Ink

10 Biggest Sports Heros in Sports History

November 23, 2021
By kalliechristy BRONZE, West Deptford, New Jersey
kalliechristy BRONZE, West Deptford, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Throughout sports history, many have been surrounded by many of these so-called“heroes.”

From Magic Johnson to Michael Jordan, we have seen tons of players who fit this description in sports history.

These 10 players have made the biggest impact in sports history.

Roberto Clemente was a talented right fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates for 18 seasons. His ability to make plays for the Pirates was consistent and led to him becoming successful. Clemente was a hero because of his efforts to help out after an earthquake in Nicaragua where he was killed in 1972. Clemente will forever be remembered as one of the best all-around individuals on and off the field in Major League Baseball history.

Next is Reggie White. Thirteen-time Pro Bowler White was much more than just a threat on the defensive side of the football field. White was an ordained minister at the age of 17 which helped him save many black churches with the money he provided them. Called the “Minister of Defense,” he was the exact definition of a hero.

Following is Lyman Bostock. While he only played four seasons in the majors, he is a very well-known player. He was tragically murdered in 1978 as he was making his rise up the ranks in the majors. When the California Angels gave him a contract extension earlier in 1978, Bostock selflessly gave his salary back for the month of April after he struggled at the start of the season. Bostock was a special person known for his heroic actions in April of 1978.

Ted Williams was one of the greatest athletes in American sports history. Not only did he make 19 All-Star squads, but he also completed 39 combat missions in two different wars during the 1940s and 1950s. Ted Williams was not only a great baseball player but also a great man who served his country well.

Jesse Williams is another heroic and fearless track star. The Oakville, Alabama native ran in the Berlin Olympics in 1936 while racist dictator Adolf Hitler was present at the event. Williams was truly an inspiration to African-American pro athletes around the world.

Jackie Robinson may have been the biggest sports hero in history. Robinson forever broke the color barrier in American Professional sports in 1947. Though he only played 10 seasons, his lasting effect throughout baseball is felt today with the retirement of his number and on Jackie Robinson Day. Without his heroic and courageous actions, African American individuals may have never had opportunities as they do today.

Next, Vince Lombardi is known as one of the greatest coaches in American sports history. He won five NFL titles and was loved by many fans and players throughout his legendary career. Lombardi is still remembered today for the hero he was with the Lombardi Trophy, which is given to the Super Bowl champion each season.

Magic Johnson is known as a hero for what he did as an athlete and human being. Twelve-time All-Star, five-time NBA champion, and known as one of the best point guards in the league, Johnson was well-known on the court. Off the court, he fought off HIV which killed many people in the early 1990s. Magic is a true hero to all who have known him as a basketball player or an HIV/AIDS advocate as well.

Muhammad Ali is known as one of the greatest boxers of all time. He is well-known for his speech, “I am the greatest” which he said during his prime.  Ali helped place boxing on the map in America while becoming a legend at the same time.  Ali contracted Parkinson’s Disease and fought like a hero, but he sadly passed away due to septic shock.

Last, but certainly not least, is female hero Bethany Hamilton. In 2003, Hamilton survived a shark attack that left her with no left arm. Hamilton never lost her courage and faith during her time of recovery which led to her becoming a professional surfer despite tough obstacles that she had to face. 

Hero’s exemplify and display values people admire. They show us how to overcome challenges, face our fears, and stand up for others. Overall, they help create a better environment for everyone, and these 10 athletes have made a huge difference in the world of sports.