Understanding of Chinese Calligraphy -- Chinese Traditional Culture | Teen Ink

Understanding of Chinese Calligraphy -- Chinese Traditional Culture

By Qangela__yan BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other
Qangela__yan BRONZE, Guangzhou, Other

Chinese calligraphy holds a significant representation of symbolism in traditional Chinese culture, incubating fundamental messages of Eastern culture. While the formation of text served the purpose of communicating ideas and information, calligraphy transfigured this tool of communication into a form of art via the distinctive details of brush storks, ink tones, and structural formation. With modern technology evolving at an increasing rate, the art of Chinese calligraphy maintained its profound cultural spirit and nonparallel artistic charm. Chinese calligraphy possesses a stringent set of rules, yet within such rules, it provides ample opportunity for self-expression, extensive reflection, and uncapped possibility.

Growing up in an atmosphere heavily tainted with the practice of calligraphy, the repetitive preaching of the importance of proper handwriting and how “handwriting mirrors personality” is nothing more familiar. I always admired the ones who have neat and eloquent handwriting. For a long time, I viewed “calligraphy” only as a means for me to achieve better handwriting; never have I thought I would form such a bond and passion for this form of art.

At the age of seven, my grandfather introduced me to a calligraphy classroom. I was astonished by the fragrance of ink and the loud silence that filled the room, but when I started practicing lines of unrecognizable characters, my excitement quickly faded. I gave up on the brush and papers and returned to the playground.

However, after six years, I regained my brush and ink and recommitted to the learning of calligraphy. I went from seal script to official script, line script to cursive script…each and every fascinating and challenging me, prompting me to perfect the balance between the ink and paper, striving for the strength of Wei and Jin and the style of Tang and Song.

It took me a long time to be able to even promptly depict the beauty of such an art. Through its extended history, Chinese calligraphy came to develop its vast system of knowledge and teachings. However, the diligence of practice remains its fundamental basis. As a child, I always hoped for an overnight success, frustrated by the repetitive practices that were required. Yet, via this persistent, draining, repetitive process, I gradually cultivated a sense of appreciation and connection towards the vivid emotions and stories communicated through the writing, progressively coming to uncover the beauty of calligraphy and Chinese tradition.

The world of calligraphy is complex and compelling. It holds endless challenges with the boundless teachings of craft beyond the basics and the ceaseless variety of scripts beyond the regular. The complexity of such an art that often drove many away, contrarily, is the intriguing experience that I find in calligraphy that brings excitement in the midst of melancholy and peace in the midst of chaos.

Chinese calligraphy showed me a world that gave me the courage to decide what kind of writing I want to write and what kind of a person I want to be.

I have learned Chinese Calligraphy for several years, and I recently started a Calligraphy Exhibition, the article above is my personal understanding of Chinese Calligraphy as well as the Chinese traditional culture. It only represent my personal understanding and opinion.