Behind bleachers | Teen Ink

Behind bleachers

By Os24 BRONZE, Le Taillan-Médoc, Other
Os24 BRONZE, Le Taillan-Médoc, Other

When people think about sports , most of the time they think about something that unites them together or a peaceful place . In fact, it's quite true , but sometimes it's also something that divides people .

I chose to talk today about Lewis Hamilton, a formula one driver . His action took place back in september 2020 in Italy . During a pre-race ceremony and instead of wearing his clothes to drive , he decided to wear a black t-shirt where it was written ''arrest the gaps cops who killed Taylor . In fact , he wanted to pay tribute to an Afro-american called Breonna Taylor and who was killed by a police officer few days before . Taylor died in horrible conditions and passed away due to a breathing issue . The aim of Lewis' action was to denounce this misconduct and to witness that event to a large audience . Lewis said that his action was globally well received . He added that he didn't lost his reputation in the F1 community . Despite some positive feed back , the FIA , the internationnal organisation of formula one, created a new rule . This rule was that drivers can't wear what they want during competitions . Lewis Hamilton reacted ''they created rules for me but I don't care ''. 

In my opinion the action of this F1 driver was brave and worth it . He fights against a huge issue of modern days : racism . The interesting thing is that he went further !! Firstly , he protested but he also decided to create a foundation , a charity called ''mission 44''. This organisation aims to help people with disavantages and racial minorities . That is why I chose him ; he protested but he did concrete things and that's the key to solve issues .

Of course , Lewis Hamilton is one sportsman among many other commited athletes.

I would argue that protesting through sports is a good thing. For me , it's more relevant than a demonstration because people feel more concerned and you reach a bigger audience to express your fight . In addition , if people like an athlete they will , for sure , agree with their fight andd even be invilved . So , sport units people behind a team or behind a cause .