Dance is Underrated | Teen Ink

Dance is Underrated

April 18, 2024
By mayaperez123 BRONZE, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
mayaperez123 BRONZE, Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Whether you’re 6 or 66, dancing is something that we can all do. Dancing is a great way to keep your body moving, have a sense of community, and have a creative outlet. Siena, who is on the Rhythm in Motion Dance Team, says “I get excited at school thinking about dance later because I know that I’m hanging out with teammates and forgetting about schoolwork for those two hours.” Dancing brings joy to people who are seeking it, and the positive health benefits are a plus.

There are multiple ways that dancing can affect the physical and mental health of people positively. The obvious ways are keeping the body in shape; this being flexibility, strength, and stamina. The not so obvious is mental health; Most people view dancing as strict ballet conformity with strict rules that are set. While this is true, ballet is just one of the many styles of dance. For example, improv and contemporary are arguably the best styles of dance for free movement and self expression. These styles help release stress, boost confidence and mood, and are a fun and healthy way to release any negative thoughts and emotions. Dance is an open and accommodating art to a range of ages. For example, teenagers can benefit from dance as a way to let go after school and get moving after sitting at a desk all day. This applies to adults as well as it improves cardiovascular health and promotes posture and balance. Adults already struggle to find ways to express themselves so this can be the perfect creative outlet for them as well. Applying to everyone, dance can also be a perfect way to make friends and have a sense of community as you automatically are surrounded by people with your common interests. So join your local community’s dance or even Zumba class today if you want that spice added to your life by getting fit and letting loose surrounded by people who want the same.