Plea Fell on Deaf Ears | Teen Ink

Plea Fell on Deaf Ears

By jackyuan4 BRONZE, Arcadia, California
jackyuan4 BRONZE, Arcadia, California

“You know the Greeks didn't write obituaries, they only asked one question after a man died: Did he have passion?”

Dear coaches,

I am terrified of my baseball coach.

In my last game of the season, when I hit a triple, the explosion of excitement and cheers from fans distracted me, which led to a running error. Luckily, I made it to third base. But when the inning ended with a strikeout, I knew what was coming; I imagined my coach bellowing at me “Do you even know how to play baseball?” Sure enough, his yelling echoed throughout the dugout as he criticized my baserunning. “Do you even know what you are doing out there?! It’s embarrassing that you are a starter and you still don’t know how to run the bases!” He stormed away without offering encouragement or advice to go along with the humiliation. I felt discouraged throughout the remainder of the game. Was it wrong to want some encouragement from my coach? Was I just being too sensitive?

A coach should lead his or her team to success by optimizing each player's strengths while also recognizing and addressing their weaknesses. A coach should strike a balance between serving as a role model and mentor to his or her athletes while setting high expectations for performance. Tom Crean, a college basketball coach for the University of Georgia, thinks a good professional coach should have emotional agility, or "the ability to harness [the players’] emotions and learn to apply them to the right people, in the right situations and during the right times." Crean’s philosophy seems to have informed Potsdam Royal’s head coach Randy Jackson’s shift in coaching style. When interviewed by The New York Times, Jackson described his old style as "demanding and confronting." He was, in other words, an abusive coach. But coaching the German football (soccer) team has given him a new perspective. Recognizing that his players have important commitments, such as their families, he decided neither the pitch nor the locker room was an appropriate place to punish them. In addition, he realized that it is okay for players to make mistakes, and that it is the coach's job to address these issues by providing guidance.

Crean and Jackson demonstrate that abusive coaching does not mean successful coaching. Former college swimmer and doctoral researcher Kait Simpson at the University of Edinburgh explains that the sports industry lacks an unambiguous understanding of what counts as abusive coaching, particularly when it is emotional rather than physical. As a result, it is up to the coaches to strike a balance between criticizing and abusive behavior.

And so, coaches, next time your players make a mistake show some restraint, some empathy, some criticism sandwiched between encouragement. Coach them with advice and support, instead of planting fear and doubt; this brings out the best in us players.

Sincerely, 

Yixuan

Works Cited 

forbes.com/sites/jasonbelzer/2015/10/21/indiana-hoosiers-basketball-and-the-education-of-a-college-coach/?sh=1c3f395ca9a3

nytimes.com/2022/09/08/sports/football/german-football-coaching.html?searchResultPosition=3

globalsportmatters.com/culture/2022/05/24/mental-health-battle-how-coach-impacts-college-athletes/

For this open letter, I wanted to write about a sport that I was enthusiastic about, as well as an issue that both my teammates and I were dealing with. I write about this issue because I believe it is overlooked in high school athletics and sports in general. It is especially problematic in high school since the athletes have little control over the situation and are unable to intervene. When they do step in, they are considered to be “soft” by society in a way. Throughout all of this, the coaches are not even aware of the drastic impacts they have on the players that they coach and lead. I crafted my open letter by first taking an issue that I have personally experienced. Then, I did some research to expand my understanding of it, by reading different people's perspectives and stories. Afterwards, I laid out the structure of the letter to best suit my message and back it up with evidence. From that point on, it was all about expressing my personal voice and story while incorporating evidence to back up my argument.