Lebron vs. Kobe | Teen Ink

Lebron vs. Kobe

June 16, 2010
By c_ralls BRONZE, Talent, Oregon
c_ralls BRONZE, Talent, Oregon
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Lebron vs. Kobe


They are known as two of the greatest athletes of all time, both play on two premier teams in the league, both dominate their respected positions, and both are on their way to the Hall Of Fame. Lebron James and Kobe Bryant are reinventing the way people look at the NBA, which brings the question: Who is better? Kobe, who is the reigning NBA Finals MVP, with four Championships rings? Or Lebron, who currently has 22 triple-doubles, is the reigning NBA regular season MVP, and two time NBA First Teamer? It depends on whether you look at who has better stats, who’s playing on the better team, who is the better leader, and who others think are better.

So first let’s state the facts. Kobe averages 28.8 points per game, 5.2 rebounds per game, 4.5 assists per game, and shoots 83.1% from the free-throw line.Lebron averages 29.7 points per game, 7.10 rebounds per game, 7.8 assists per game, and shoots 78.2% from the free-throw line. Although these numbers are fairly close, close doesn’t cut it. The stats clearly show that Lebron is a better player in more areas than Kobe. But in some games, Kobe may do better than Lebron, or maybe even Kobe’s team does better than Lebron’s team. This brings me to my next point.

Whose team is better? Kobe’s Los Angeles Lakers, or Lebron’s Cleveland Cavaliers? Kobe has been with the Los Angeles Lakers now for 13 years. He went straight from high school to the NBA. He was drafted with the 13th selection in 1996 to play on the Charlotte Hornets, but was immediately traded to the Lakers in exchange for some veterans. From 2000-2002 he led them (along with Shaquille O’Neal) to win three consecutive championship titles. They also led the entire NBA in wins in the 2008-2009 seasons. The Lakers have had four Hall of Famers in their history. Lebron has been with the Cleveland Cavaliers since 2003, when the 18 year old was drafted 1st overall. Since he has been with the Cavaliers, he has won a Conference Title (2007) and a Division Title (2009). When the Lakers went up against the Cavaliers this season, the Cavaliers won 102-87 and then again 93-87. Proving Lebron and his team are better. If you are still not convinced, then here is my next subject.

Who is the true leader? Lebron James is a true leader. He knows how to share. He gives his teammates the ball, he trusts in them, and by doing that he makes them better. But he also knows how to put the game on his back. He can drive it to the basket, and he knows when he has to take the shot. He has no history of going to jail or being a wrongful person. He knows what he values and that’s what most celebrities don’t know how to do. Kobe, on the other hand, is known previously as a “ball hog”. He didn’t like to give the pass, nor did he like it when he wasn’t scoring as high as he wanted, so he would just be a one man team. He also has a questionable history. He was accused of sexual assault in 2003. But the accuser declined to testify in the trial, so the suit was dropped. Whether or not he did it, he was still accused of it. That’s not a true leader.
Kobe is referred to as “The Best Player on the Planet” or “Black Mamba”. Lebron is referred to as “The Chosen One” “The Akron Hammer” and “The King”. James has the edge of being younger, and the way he is playing, Kobe could have never compared to Lebron. James is always, constantly getting better each year, and he still has many years to go. Bryant can take over the last couple minutes of a game, and he is also a better free-throw shooter, and he has Championship rings to prove it. But when people are asked, “Who do you think is the better player?” most will probably say they can’t decide. It is pretty hard to decide considering they are so alike in many ways. But for me, I don’t have any trouble answering; I believe Lebron is the better player!
Now you know who I think is the better player all around. Maybe you disagree, or maybe you agree. No matter what, both players are going to be around for awhile longer and will continue to make history in the basketball world. So whether it is better stats, a better team, true leadership, or overall who people think is the better player, both players are extremely accomplished. I will always believe that Lebron James holds the title of the “Best Player in the League”. But there are always up and coming youngsters, just look at John Wall.


Works Cited:
http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog.index.ssf/2010/01/lebron_james_vs_kobe_bryant_at.html
http://www.craveonline.com/sports/article/the-great-debate-lebron-vs-kobe-67419