Female Football Player Rights | Teen Ink

Female Football Player Rights

By brokendreamer GOLD, Otis, Maine
brokendreamer GOLD, Otis, Maine

I believe that the National Football League (NFL) and Colleges in the United states should discuss creating a professional football league and college league for women. Yes, girls can play football in high school and some play recreationally, but they should allow us to play in college and professionally also! Being a tomboy, I play football often during my daily school break, and find a lot of fun in the activity. I'm sure I speak for some of the female race when I state that it is unfair for us women not being able to play football professionally/in college by law!

As I stated earlier, I play football recreationally with a lot of the guys in my middle school. I am the only female to play the sport there, but I am also one of the best! I can throw a perfect spiral a good thirty yards, I can run faster than 98% of the guys in my middle school, and am one of the best recievers our teams have. I played flag football when I was in elementary school, and am considering playing in high school. But here's where I'm at a loss: Why play in high school if I can't continue to play in college and in my adult life AFTER college like I can in the other sports I participate in? There isn't a point. Which is also why I'm stressing the fact that the NFL and colleges nation wide should hear me out. I think it would be worth while, and would NOT be a waste of our time and money. I can only assume this, but a lot of women out of the American population do play football, and some may want to play professionally, me being one of the main contenders. So, can someone PLEASE tell me, why CAN'T we play?

I wrote this because I feel us women have just as much of a right to play football as men do.

Phantom_Girl GOLD, Ft. Carson, Colorado

"If it comes out of the lion's mouth...it will be on the test."
-Mr. Bala

Sadly, I have to agree with earlybird. Unfortunatly, many sports people aren't into the sport so much as the sensless violence. I think it's totally unfair that women don't have a professional league, but it wouldn't bring in half the money.

earlybird_8 BRONZE, Roberts Creek, Other

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You raise a good point, but the sad fact is that female football players don't bring in as much money as their male counterparts for the corporations that sponsor their teams. This is because the people who watch football (guys, for the most part) are not interested in seeing women play, because they don't have the same muscle mass that can send an opponent hurling into the ground, so there is less senseless violence. It's the same in most female sports (notable exceptions being ones where women don't wear many clothes). This is unfortunate, but true.