Magical Words | Teen Ink

Magical Words

By demipaddington PLATINUM, Hong Kong, Other
demipaddington PLATINUM, Hong Kong, Other

Words are magical. They can create pictures and images in our minds, they can help us to express our emotions that we’ve been trying to hide, and like a key, words can open up locked hearts and can free our souls that have been kept deep inside.

When different people are reading the same passage, for example about a scene which shows a castle at midnight, the words they read are the same, yet if they are asked to paint out what the scene is like in their minds, each person will have the pictures drawn differently, even if they are all referring to the same passage. How they draw their castles according to their instincts appears to be perspectives on how they see things.
The castle standing on the grass at midnight is always different from the castle standing under a starry midnight with a bright moon hanging on the sky. My castle at midnight and yours at midnight may never be the same.

Despite how human minds are different, I do believe that somehow we have all come across mutual feelings. Stories that touch us, stories that horrify us, stories that set us free – we all have tasted the pain, the fear, and the freedom, because we all have emotions. I believe all of us have personalities within personalities, and by that I mean people who seem to be tough are not always that tough, they are fragile on the inside.
Good writers, who can smartly use the right words in their writings, will easily break through the shell of one’s personality within. Great writers, who can use only words to move the personality within, will figure out one’s vulnerability. Excellent writers, who can use the perfect words to aim at the personality within, will open up one’s heart; with words like a gun, locked and loaded, fire directly at one’s personality within – it can even rewrite his or her life.

I want to be an excellent writer when I grow up, not only because I want to change people’s attitudes towards life, but because when I read, I feel like home. Home is where my books are, where my John Green, Nicholas Sparks, Cecelia Ahern are. When I feel scared, I read, and it becomes my cuddle. When I feel sad, I read, and it becomes my shelter. When I feel lonely at nights, I read, and it becomes my lullaby.
Reading is all that I need, and whenever I read, I leave all the fusses behind.
Whatever happens in the book or how the story flows is not the most important thing to me, what matters most is not on the surface; I read behind the story and I read between the lines. Understanding what the writer tries to say is the happiest thing about reading.

Home is where we belong, where we leave the sadness, fear and stress behind, where we only allow happiness to stay. I want to be a writer who brings such feeling to everyone, I want to bring them happiness and I want to bring them home. This is why I chose to study English Literature, to learn to make happiness contagious.

And as your eyes go scanning through my writing, I felt a breeze blowing across my cheek.
Happiness dropped by to say hello, just like the wind.

Did you notice it?

thank you:)

SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota

"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

I like the part where you talk about how everyone has a  personality within their personality, that is so true. You could use better diction, but I do like the peice and the ending is awesome, my favorite part!