Olivet Middle School | Teen Ink

Olivet Middle School

By AmandaPreble GOLD, Chester, Connecticut
AmandaPreble GOLD, Chester, Connecticut

Who knew that going behind your coaches backs and blatantly ignoring their play could have such a profound effect on a middle school in Michigan. The boys on the football team at Olivet Middle School knew. They knew of a boy, 95lbs with learning and behavioral disabilities who wanted nothing more than to score a touchdown for his schools football team. After weeks of careful preparation by the kids on the team alone, a play which would later be called, the “Keith Special” was born. It involved two simple parts: One, get the ball to the end zone without scoring and two, put Keith Orr in, protect him, and make sure he scores that touch down.

None of the coaches, teachers, or parents were aware of this plan being hatched over past weeks and therefor when one of the players got to his knees right at the one yard line groans were heard rumble over the crowd. However, the mood would quickly lighten as Orr is put in and, guarded heavily by his team, makes it over the one yard line to score the touchdown.

Orr's parents looked on, shocked at what his son had accomplished. He had been so tightly guarded that no one in the audience seemed to know what was going on, or what had happened, until it was all over. When the crowd realized what had happened and applause rang out and emotions were high. A boy who had been shunned and bullied, was now a part of the team, a part of the “popular crowd.” He was accepted, and better yet, his mother was put at ease.

No longer having to worry about the friends he didn't have, or the bully’s that didn't leave him alone, Orr's parents could rest easy knowing that the entire football team would have his back until the day they graduated. And beyond.

We can all learn a lesson from this event. While the NFL is dealing with bullying in their locker rooms, a small middle school in Michigan has given hope to children suffering from bullying in schools around the state. Consider this small event a miracle, a step in the right direction to sports teams, and people everywhere. One small idea, one small plan, one small act of kindness, can change the life of someone like Keith Orr.

When it was all over and a reporter got the chance to speak with one of Keith's teammates, asking why they did what they did, his response was one that could put a smile on anyones face. He responded by simply saying they did it, “just like to make someones day, make someones week, just make them happy.” And I have to admit, I think they accomplished what they set out to do and then some.

While I can't say I witnessed this event, or talked to anyone involved, I read multiple news articles including ones by CNN, NBC, Elite Daily and The Blaze as well as did some research about the town and school itself. The pieces I read and the videos I watched covering this event, moved me and made me evaluate how good of a person I am. Who can say they came up with a selfless, meaningful plan such as this one and was able to follow it through to reach such a positive and uplifting end result? Not many people. And most importantly, not many middle school football players.

It goes to show that there are kids out there who aren't out to bully and make the lives of “different” peers miserable and unbearable. There are kids out there who will do whatever it takes to make a boys day, a boy who normally only receives negative attention at school.

The Miami Dolphins have nothing on the Olivet Eagle's. While the Miami Dolphins, a team of grown men are dealing with a bullying issue, the Olivet Eagle's are doing the exact opposite. They are making a change in the life of the bullied. And that, is something to be proud of. As Orr's mother speaks of what happened that day, she relays the message that her son can no feel safe. That he can go through his middle school and high school career as one of the “cool kids.” Something worth celebrating.

Our society could learn more from a small Middle School Football team in Michigan than from the National Football League, what does that mean to you?