writing words for characters | Teen Ink

writing words for characters

By LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York
LegendKeeper DIAMOND, Unadilla, New York

"What is impossible with man is possible with God." Luke 18:27

Most everyone has witness something falling to the ground. Wether or not it was our fault is not the point. But here's how it works: cloth- direct fall, no bounce. marble- bounces for a time, then slooowly rolls to a halt. bouncy-ball/flubber- bounces for a REALLY long time, getting bigger with every bounce. Usually you have to grab it to stop it.

Dialogue or narrating should be like that. Especially between characters. Each bounce should be an example of how effective a line is to bring out character, emotion, or convey information. I've read some books where it was like cloth. Translation= IT WAS TERRIBLE! WHY DID I WASTE PRECIOUS MOMENTS OF MY TIME OF THAT?! I'm not going to name-name, but I already figured out nearly everything about the 'Dragons in our midst' series in the first three/four chapters of book 1. In the beginning of a book you have to hook your readers, and the narrating and dialogue should keep them hooked.

a marble is 'eh'. It works for a while, then diminishes.

An example of GREAT narrating and dialogue is the Lord of the Rings. If you are one of those people who can't get through the whole series, just grab one and open it up anywhere! You never know what's coming at you, but it flows so smoothly! You don't expect a member of the fellowship to betray them until it happens, though you have a tiny foreshadowing that you forget over time until the moment strikes!
Okay, I'll stop nerding-out. You get the point.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this stuff, but if everyone worked a little harder, who knows? We may be counted among the great writers.

all references are only used for example; all copyright go to the authors and film makers