Madden Curse | Teen Ink

Madden Curse

By OddFutureMDK BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
OddFutureMDK BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

The madden curse began as a joke but as years advanced it began to be more apparent that the players performance on the field had taken a turn for the worst. Whether it was an injury or a plummet in stats being on the cover of EA’s (Electronic Arts) “Madden” has affected the NFL stars in a negative way.

Since 1999 EA had started putting NFL Stars on the cover of Madden. Players like Troy Polamalu and Larry Fitzgerald were both on the cover of Madden 2010, where both players suffered from the superstitious “Madden Curse”.

The strong safety from the Pittsburgh Steelers Troy Polamalu Had played his first game of the 2010 season where he sprained his MCL and missed four games. After returning and playing three games he tore his posterior cruciate ligament and could not play for the rest of the season.

The boundless Wide Receiver from the Arizona Cardinals, Larry Fitzgerald had a great season. He had over 1000 receiving yards and had the chance to be in the pro bowl. During the playoffs, Larry Fitzgerald had a rib injury that ruined his chance at being a pro bowler in 2010.
Do you believe in the Madden Curse? Will you vote for your favorite player after reading this article?