The Facts Behind Video Games | Teen Ink

The Facts Behind Video Games

“Move left. Move left, now right!” You're dripping sweat, your palms are sweaty and your trembling with nervousness, like a boxer fresh out of the ring. As you, and your noob of a friend try and focus and overtake the level you have been stumped on for weeks.

You may play video games for fun, losing all thoughts of anything but where the easter eggs are hidden not even thinking about all the amazing benefits gaming has on your body. No matter what games you play or console you use, these effects may still apply to you. Some parents don't allow games, but they might not  know the good effects of video games either. Video games can help you relieve stress, it also helps in developing motor skills, and helping kids forget about their pain and many other things. Video Games aren't as bad as people think, they can see changes in their human body. 

When kids, or teens get home, they start to think about the test that is coming up, or all of the homework they were assigned. All this is worrying them. They began to stress over these things. Stress is one of the main causes for heart disease and stroke. Although people may not believe it, just 15-30 minutes of playing video games can help them get their mind of stressful things. Thats right, just 900 to 1800 seconds of playing video games can help with stressful situations. When playing your favorite games, the human mind relaxes and puts itself inside of the game. This helps the brain get its mind of stressful things. After playing video games, gamers minds will feel refreshed, and there mind will be ready for another session of stress. When people wake up in the morning thinking “Another day, ugh!” their brain starts to get used to feeling stressed out and expects it and their common stressors usually happen every single  day. So they are constantly living in a state of stress. Video games can break that and help out the brain, by forgetting about things and just “zone” out. A 2009 study by Annual Review of Cybertherapy and Telemedicine, showed that kids that suffered from stress, depression, and mental health issues were able to let it out, and control their aggression and frustration by playing video games. They were showing improvement, with there problems. You may not think of stress as a big deal, but day after day of all that adrenaline pumping through your body is not good for it so relax and play video games, so you will feel a lot better, and so will your body.

Video games not only help reduce stress, but in students also help boost their ability to learn motor skills, while playing video games. Researchers have proven in the past that people who play action video games are able to learn hand eye coordination, a lot quicker than non-gamers (Sciencealert). Hand eye coordination is essential whether learning how to ride a bike or typing on the computer and a lot of other things. Learning a new sensorimotor skill sometimes requires a repeated pattern of vision and motor movement, also known as hand-eye coordination. When an individual has these skills, they are able to move from a beginner to expert level of performance in hand-eye coordination based tasks very quickly. University of Toronto did a study with two groups non-gamers, and gamers. Both handled the same task well. The task required participants to manually track a dot that moved in a complicated, yet repetitive pattern. In the end the gamers did significantly better (Sciencealert). The researchers wanted to do one more study. They did the exact same thing except changed the pattern, the results stayed the same, the gamers had done significantly better than the non-gamers. Video games not only help cope with stress but it also helps with people's ability to learn motor skills, and many other things, research has proven it.

Video games not only help relieve stress, and help boosts the ability to learn motor skills, but it becomes similar to a challenge because you try to compete against each other ganking and becoming a ninja to take other people's loots. According to Everydayheath.com, 10 year old Omar Gray suffers from hydrocephalus, which is a swelling of the head caused by excess cerebrospinal fluid, and it can cause chronic pain. Nothing helps stop that pain except for video games he says. The 10 year old also says “I feel good when I'm done playing.” He also says “My headaches feel a lot better when I'm playing.” Hospitals and nurses are starting to contain ipads or tablets for their patients. Research has proven that kids deal with pain better by interacting, rather than watching a video or just nothing at all. In fact by playing on a tablet or ipad it will help make the procedure feel a lot shorter than they really are, and can help kids communicate with doctors a lot better. So what do they do on tablets or ipads, some of you might be wondering? Well, Sickkids hospital in Toronto launch an app called ‘Pain squad.” On that app kids become members of pain fighting “Special police team force.” This app was mainly intended for kids with cancer. In the game the kids go up in ranks when the fill out a pain survey. The app keeps track of the pain and doctors and nurses can see them. This helps the doctors see whether their patients are in pain or not. The app help the hospital with pain-diary compliance. The rates jump to 90%, up from just 11%. It jump 88%. The app not only won several awards, but also is being tested by other hospitals, and they are considering using it.

Some people say “Video games can lead to violence.” Video games only might cause violence. Ya sure some of the school shootings involved the shooter to play video games. There were also some other thing involved, like mental illness, having a gun, . But you can't blame it on the video games. Take a look at the Call of Duty series. Modern Warfare 2 sold 310 million copies on the first day, Black Ops sold 5.6 million copies on day 1, and 400 million copies sold for Modern Warfare 3(Forbes). Millions and millions of these copies are sold, and there aren't millions of school shootings? Lets come back to this,“Playing video games can violence,” If video games cause violence, than is it gasolines fault it causes bombs, or does driving a car mean you will hit someone? Should they make a law against driving cars? I didn’t think so. Now think about video games some more, and if you still think that video games cause violence, then you should stop driving your car.

When you get home, from a long exhausting day. Don’t feel like you have to go straight to your homework, or study for the test thats coming up, just take 900-1800 seconds to play your favorite game. Your brain and body will feel much better, and it will help you in your body in the future. The next time your parents are screeching at you, as you are about to beat the level you have been stuck on for weeks. Tell them the causes on how video games help your body.

Works Cited
"5 Reasons Video Games Aren't so Bad after All." CTVNews. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Feb. 2015.
"Action Video Games Can Boost Your Ability to Learn Motor Skills." ScienceAlert. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2015.
"Can Video Games Relieve Stress? - True Stress Management." True Stress Management. N.p., 02 June 2014. Web. 05 Feb. 2015.
"Can Video Games Relieve Stress? - True Stress Management." True Stress Management. N.p., 02 June 2014. Web. 06 Feb. 2015.
"ConorGoodrich.com." Video Games: A Great Way to Relieve Stress. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Feb. 2015.
Forbes. Forbes Magazine, n.d. Web. 11 Feb. 2015.