Twilight on Equality | Teen Ink

Twilight on Equality MAG

By Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York
Catcat BRONZE, New Paltz, New York

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour."

It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that while reading Twilight I was “dazzled” (pun intended). Almost anyone alive for the past couple of months is certainly aware of the saga, which has received excited acclaim not only from teenagers worldwide but also such esteemed reviewers as The New York Times and Publishers Weekly. So why do I have a problem with it?

Twilight is about Bella Swan, a teen who moves to a new town and is immediately adored by everyone. She instantly has several men vying for her attention and a couple of pretty nice friends as well. Her adoration of classic books would imply that she is at least marginally intelligent. Then she meets Edward Cullen (who has a unique background that is not relevant here), and as their relationship grows, so does her obsession, until it consumes her. Seems harmless, right?

Actually, no. Bella is depicted as an evil temptress trying to persuade a morally honorable man into evil, while he attempts to keep their virtues intact. Succinctly, Edward and Bella are a modern Adam and Eve.

But the book goes further in asserting that women are inferior to men. Every time Bella is faced with a conflict and has to make a choice, Edward swoops in to save her, because apparently she can’t possibly decide on her own. He goes beyond protective to borderline abusive in Twilight, but Bella justifies it as “love” every time. When Edward dumps her for a couple months in New Moon, Bella ­becomes seriously depressed and dangerous to herself.

All the female characters in this series eventually portray similar helplessness. Even the first relationship introduced in the book – that of Bella’s ­mother and stepfather – is sexist. Bella expresses concern about leaving her mother, but then reasons that it’s okay now that Phil is looking after her.

What’s even more ridiculous is that many female readers look up to Bella! Her situation is idealized. After finding Edward, Bella is happy only when she is with him. She feels that he is her one true purpose in life. So what are girls who read the novels left wanting? Their own Edward, of course! Not only do they want one – they need one. The fact that so many intelligent young men and women have been sucked into the Twilight series and have swallowed its sexist manifesto has me worried about the future of gender equality.

I hope that this makes us all more aware about the messages we get while reading.

BrainsANDBeauty PLATINUM, Donnellson, Iowa

I knew that guy when he was a caterpillar, you know, before he 'came out'

Who? Me or Ms. Team Edward?

I do see where you're coming from, but I think your over-annalyzing. Do you really think Stephenie Meyer wrote this book with those ideals in mind? Most writers have a plan for Character, Tone, and Plot, and that's it. She didn't plan it.

When writing, characters are become their own person. We no longer control their actions, they get from A to B the way they want to. The way Bella sees herself is clumsy and helpless. It's not sending a message. It's just how the character is, and Edward's reaction to that.

But maybe she should have made Bella a little less "damsel in distress." But there is a balance in my mind, considering she sees herself like that, but she doesn't want to be like that. I haven't read past Eclipse, so I can't say if she changes when she becomes a vampire. But she wants to be a vampire 1. for Edward, and 2. so she can fight for herself, and not be so reliant on Edward

little-miss-mistakes GOLD, Plano, Texas

even after all these years the sun has never said to the earth, you owe me... look at what a love like that can do, it can light up the sky

i can see where your coming from, but are you sure you arent just looking for reasons to hate the book? your whole article seems kinda negative.

xenon333 PLATINUM, Billerica, Massachusetts
...did you even read the article?

bilbogirl GOLD said...
bilbogirl GOLD, Townsend, Delaware

If you cant rock it, dont even bother trying.

I know! It seems everyone in every middle and high school is vampire crazed! Thank you very much, Catcat for reminding all of us that Twilight is unrealistic and really just plain stupid, i think

This is ridiculous.  In the attempt to talk about the negatives of the Twilight Saga, you just proved the point.  It seems as if you got nothing out of the article, just read the word "Twilight" and put Team Edward.

Anonymous said...
If you think about it, in breaking dawn there is shown the full and deep desire to protect Edward when he goes up to get his mind read. Bella is clearly shown being the stronger one. They both are attracted to eachother. so she could not be the only one tempting.

CallaRho BRONZE, Grosse Pointe, Michigan
I completely agree with your points, and this is a very well written article.  However, I think if the plot had been more solid, the sexism wouldn't have been as obvious.  Ironically, while reading this there was an ad for a book saying, "fall in love with your own Edward."  The books are awful in every way, but Stephanie Meyer sure knows the flaws of her target audience. 

Haven BRONZE said...
Haven BRONZE, Oakland, California
i see your points but most books are that way. the ones thst are not end up in some way having it reversed. Basically in every book there is "weaker sex" who needs protecting. Correct me if im wrong but i havnt read a book thst isnt like that yet. Its juvenile but he books are still fun and exciting and make its readers come back begging for more every time.

hmm.. Never thought about why the author wrote the characters the way she did. I read in an article that she had a dream about vampires and decided to make it into a book. But who knows? Maybe she was portraying her view of guys or maybe she was wishing she had one like the ones she dreams up. Who knows? Thanks for making me think though! :-)

Thank you! Finally, someone who understands what is wrong with these books/movies! A bunch of my friends adore the movies as well as the books while I find them juvenile and unrealistic as well as ridiculous and unchristian.

Jigjoo GOLD said...
Jigjoo GOLD, Many, Louisiana

Hello. My name is Muerte, and I will be your assassin today.

You have a very well written article, and I agree with many of your points, but I don't see how, in any wasy, Bella was portrayed as an "evil temptress" as you stated. She was an obsessed little girl caught up in the first major love of her life and felt that she needed to give all of herself to this "perfect" man in order to keep him, as many girls do. Perhaps I'm disenchanted by the entire thing, but this teenage love story is common and...well...rather stupid. Many teenage girls have experienced similar relationships (though not with mythical creatures, on would hope) with first, second, ect. boyfriends.

kateyt23 said...
kateyt23, Meath, Other
Although I do certainly see your point of view and your artical is very well written! I completely disagree. When I read this book my opinion was that Edward was unconditionaly in love with Bella! And would do anything for her! That is what I believe and that was what drew me to the book!

Venus_Queen said...
I agree with you moosemitts!!

MarinaOreo GOLD, King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania

"Your soul is the whole world" -Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

I just think that girls like it so much because it can be relate-able. A girl falls in love with a guy and he makes her so happy, that she becomes dependent on him and that "happiness." It's happened to me and I lost myself completely, losing my independence. I have read all the books and I love them, but I can see how you find it sexist. After reading the article, I can completely agree that it can be sexist. But I think you might be looking into it just a tad much. I think Meyer's intention was to portray a teenage love story. The fact that Edward was a "vampire" makes most girl flock to it more, and others hate it more because it is so unrealistic. It really does depend on how you view it, but I mean if you really think...there is no Edward out there, and girls really need to realize that.

BasketballChick5, San Diego, California

:)Just Do It:) <3

good....i dont like twilight and someone acually wrote one about why they don't like it!

X_Dysfuntional_Lyrics_X GOLD, Cleveland, Ohio

I have a lot of favorite quotes. I cant really pick.

First off Id like to say that I love the Twilight Saga, BUT I am not one of those OVERLY obsessed teens. I love the books more than the movies, but that doesnt mean Im not going to not see the movies. I am not saying I disagree with this article or anything. Actually your article made me think. It made me realize that maybe she was kind of dependent on Edward. I never really looked into the message(s) behind the book. As I said Im not one of those OVERLY obsessed fans. Ive always loved vampires and things like that WAYYY before I ever read Twilight. I dont freak out everytime I see something Twilight or anything. I dont need EVERYTHING Twilight. Heck I dont even own any of the books or the movie but thats because I dont have the money, but even if I did have money I wouldnt buy Twilight this and Twilight that. I have ONE poster of it that my cousin bought me for my birthday and thats it. Anyways this was VERY good! I liked it a lot.

Silevryn BRONZE, Osceola, Missouri

"The world hasn't become more violent, it's become more televised"

i agree completely

ThisIsArwen BRONZE, Idaho Falls, Idaho
Good article. I definitely agree. I'm really glad to see people understanding that Twilight isn't the best book out there. Ecspecially because a lot of girls that read the series are really young. So, the messages being sent in this book could really affect them. (The only thing I disagree with is that you compared Bella to Eve. I don't really see Eve as an evil temptress.)

love.lauren GOLD, Eagle Lake, Minnesota

"That's Sweeto!"-my friend, Shelby

Thank you! Finally, a well written article about how the Twilight saga DOESN'T totally rock.