Why Do We Write? | Teen Ink

Why Do We Write?

January 26, 2016
By Rosie630 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
Rosie630 GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
18 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra." ~Jimmy Johnson


I grazed my hand over the smooth sheet, wiping eraser residue and rejected thoughts onto my bedroom floor. They floated around me; a whirlwind of ideas in my head, pushing to prove themselves on the drafted proposal. I struggled to find the best way to describe the life in my mind. How would they understand? I needed a way to illustrate the colors and textures that streamed through my conciousness like ribbons surrounding the precious gift I have to offer.


What is the purpose of writing? Is it to cling to communication, to want someone to empathize with how you are feeling, and what you are going through? Do we write for a purpose in life? Perhaps, writing things down makes an event more meaningful and more concrete in our lives. By describing the intricacies of the sky, the crisp Autumn wind that tangles our hair and the fluffy marshmallow clouds that float in this sky, we suspend time on this one moment in order to enhance its sentiment.


Many people write in order to be known in the world. In a consumer's society, where our day-to-day lives are determinded by how much we buy and how much we spend, one wants to be able to send something into our world in hopes of receiving back. In one century, our world has change immensly. A person's life may not be remembered, but if one can transform the milestones, as well as the simple pleasures of their life into words that may impact someone, they will be remembered and documented permanently.


By writing and expressing our internal thought processes, we piece together strands of words that create myriads of sentences, from complex to creative to simple and blunt. This technique is an art and does indeed require skill. By writing, one reaches out to the world and puts their most refined opinions on display. A writer turns ordinary into extraordinary.