A Thousand Tall Mountains | Teen Ink

A Thousand Tall Mountains

By CarterTomich GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
CarterTomich GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

They are the only ones that hide me. I am the only one who hides behind them. A thousand tall mountains with giant peaks and long valleys like a path that never ends. A thousand who squeeze together but cover miles of land. A thousand strong daggers sticking out of the earth. From my cabin, I can feel them, but I know I must be crazy.

Their appearance is obvious. They block devastating storms high up in the sky. They stand up and they stand down and touch the sky between their trees like hair and crack the ground with steep dark cliffs, and always stop their enemies. This is how they save others.

Let one remember their purpose for life, if they’d all give in like a dam no longer working, each weaker than the other. Woosh, woosh, woosh the winds howl when they come through. They are essential.

When I am too alone and too safe to move on, when I am a small being living with so few other, then it is I admire the mountains. When there is never ending amount to look at in this valley. A thousand who stand despite harsh weather. A thousand who protect and do not forget to protect. A thousand who continue without asking for more.