A Halloween Lost in the Woods | Teen Ink

A Halloween Lost in the Woods

By sofiamp155 BRONZE, Bridgewater, New Jersey
sofiamp155 BRONZE, Bridgewater, New Jersey

Trailing through unfamiliar woods in the dusty glow of the sun,

autumn leaves land upon our brother and sister, coloring the fall.

The ground they crushed with their torn shoes fight to maintain their green,

struggling against swirls of golden October wind.

The twins paid this no mind, simply pressing forth while admiring pumpkins.

Lucy humming to herself, Finn sticking in his top hat an exceptionally pretty leaf.

As nature took a new home on his distinguished accessory Finn sang, “Come join me, Sir Leaf!”

Yet his sister was unbothered and instead turned her attention to the slowly fading sun.

As the light laid to rest, the sly smirks grew larger on the faces of these ever so suspicious pumpkins.

Distracted by his new friend, Finn turned only to see his sister fall,

alerted by her dancing feet as they struggled between each other after being pushed by the twisted winds- 

she plopped face-first right into mourning blade of grass attending a funeral for its youthful green.

Yet Lucy had no patience for the green,

an Autumn baby herself, she waited each year for the death of a leaf

and prayed at night for howls of wind.

Her brother had less draw for such morbid matters, letting his sister beckon to the death of the sun.

Picking herself up from her fall,

Lucy realized they were lost while staring catatonically towards some pumpkins.

Following a trail of carved pumpkins,

they ran towards an old house dyed in dusty green.

Hoping for help within its walls, the children stepped in as the strips of old, flowery wallpaper began to fall. 

Hidden by walls, the house protected a strong willow tree, displaying proudly not one browned leaf.

The broken-down ceiling cleared a precious path for the sun

as the rickety structure let the tree sway from the fierce wind.

Lucy set her brother’s leaf on the annoyingly lively tree, then followed a path left by the wind

right out the back door into a patch of lit pumpkins.

Beaming from the faces of the Jack-O-Lanterns, their smiles let out rays of sun.

Growing from strong, firm roots of green,

one of the smiles began to mouth proverbs, “Follow this leaf, 

my child, climb over the wall but be sure not to fall.”

Taking the pumpkins’ advice, without a fall

the twins climbed over a stone, viney wall, being assisted of course by the wind.

Reaching its peak they climbed down, right into a leaf

pile. Together they thanked the wise, yet indubitably strange pumpkin.

Running away from the vines of green

that wrapped their wall of salvation, they gleefully accepted a warm embrace from the now risen sun.

Once the wall of green was far from their eyes, a kiss of wind longed to bring them back to the pumpkin patch.

They ran back to the familiar fall streets of their hometown, admiring the sun that was gone far too long.

“Where on Earth have you been?” asked Mother as Finn looked up sadly to his top hat, desperately in need of a leaf.

Hello! I'm Sofia, a senior in high school. This is my fun Halloween sestina, I hope you enjoy!