Shatter the Mirror | Teen Ink

Shatter the Mirror

So soon and too soon, we were corrupted

Having been new, innocent, and influential, we were easily manipulated

At one point we all were sand, but that was until we were molded into the glass.

That glass was then shaped to fit on a bathroom wall

That glass reflected, it was a mirror, having its own story hidden in its reflection.

Either reflecting the child a parent couldn’t be or the child a parent wants it to be

Right hand, up, left hand, down, moving in sync with the person on the other side.

The person on the other side has never been themself, they are that person’s reflection, and nothing more.

Having never seen someone else reflect them as they do, they are in a one-sided mirror with only one window.

Escaping through that window is risking a crack in this “safe place” behind the mirror

Mirroring a person isn’t a job for anyone, and it should not be a job at all.

I want to be my own person, we want to be our own people, without standards this high.

Racing no one but ourselves, we still lose to those star high standards. 

Righteously pushing the pedal to the metal, we race to the end hoping to see proud parents holding our trophy.

Or instead, we find another track built from higher and harder obstacles…but no

Reverse the roles, break through the mirror and shatter it to pieces.

Use the sharp pieces and cut off the unbearable standards no one is meant to meet. Use its edges and curves to shape a new you, the real you. 

Shatter The Mirror.

I’m a freshman in high school, with a passion for writing and photography. I find reading and puzzles fun. I love to write and take pictures of things with hidden meanings behind them to see if anyone can see what I see.