I Don;t Understand . | Teen Ink

I Don;t Understand .

March 4, 2011
By TheSpiritOfMe GOLD, Fort Waynee, Indiana
TheSpiritOfMe GOLD, Fort Waynee, Indiana
13 articles 0 photos 21 comments

I have never really understood life
There;s this thing called “love”. Four letters. L-o-v-e. Simple, right? Well, from what I’ve experienced and learned, there;s so much more to it. It’s like running in circles. You fight, make up, and fight again. It’s an endless cycle. One which people blindly fall into. Why set yourself up for this torture? I don’t understand. It isn’t the movie-star-happily-ever-after crap. So why present it that way? I don’t understand.

There;s this thing called “stereo-types”. The way you are, is who you are, evidently. I wear black skinny’s, deep eyeliner, and chucks so now I;m “emo”? I don’t understand. Society labels you for how you look, act, genre of music, etc. Why believe their lies? I don’t understand.

There is this thing called “music”. People grab a microphone, start singing about sex, getting high &+ drugs, and what it’s like to be a “G”. Young kids idolize these people. Do you want them growing up thinking all of these things are the right thing to do? Having sex with a different person every night? I don’t understand. This isn’t music. This is what you did yesterday. I don’t understand. Would you idolize someone like that? I don’t understand.

There;s this thing called “society”. Every day, teenage girls are told they should look like the photo-shopped photos of celebrities in the magazines. “Thinner-waists, bigger breasts, that;s what the men want to see.” Apparently, if you’re over a size three, you’re fat. Why try and meet such obnoxious standards? I don’t understand. Do you want to become one of their victims? I don’t understand.

In this world, we are “blessed” with choices and standards. If we aren’t “perfect”, we don’t fit in. Our generation is slipping fast. Do you really want this to happen? I don;t understand.