Love Comes, Love Leaves | Teen Ink

Love Comes, Love Leaves MAG

By hannahamara BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin
hannahamara BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin

Love comes.
Love tells you you’re beautiful.
Love kisses your nose and holds your hand.
Love makes you feel like flying, unstoppable with every word or action.
Love is there to dry your tears and push out the darkness.
Love is perfect and never-ending.
Love is faithful.
Love is happy.
Love makes you feel whole.
Love makes you feel empty.
Love is sad.
Love is fraudulent.
Love is broken and temporary.
Love makes you cry and laughs at your pain.
Love makes you fall with nothing there to catch you, makes you feel small and alone.
Love takes back their things and
closes the door.
Love tells you you’re hideous.
Love leaves.

This is a mirror poem I wrote about the truth of love, how it can be perfect and wonderful, or broken and heartbreaking.

hannahamara BRONZE, Mequon, Wisconsin
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your comments :) It was one of those times when I sat down and wrote, and it turned out exactly how I had wanted it to (with some minor tweaking of course) and I'm so glad that others like it as well.

Nightingale74 PLATINUM, Beavercreek, Ohio

"When you need something to believe in, believe in yourself."
"A poem unwritten is only a thought; unshared, unsaid..."

I really love this poem, hannahamara!! I think the way you wrote it (the mirror effect) was very unique. You also had a really nice rythm and flow; it made your poem pleasant to read :) But what i loved most about this poem, was the impact that it left on me. Love truly is an amazing thing, but it also causes a lot of pain. And when you flipped the direction of the poem "Love makes you feel whole." to "Love makes you feel empty," it being such a sudden change, I think, is symbolic of the way love can sometimes change that way for us. One minute, it makes us feel like we're soaring over the cloads, like we have everything we could ever want or need, and then next thing we know, something happens and that love becomes the thing that breaks our hearts. Wonderful work! And congrats on getting an editor's choice!! :D