When They Sleep | Teen Ink

When They Sleep

By Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other
Luckystar78 ELITE, London, Other

"..though warm as summer it was fresh as spring." (Thomas Hardy) ("Far from the Madding crowd")

Soft; plane wrinkles stencilled in the duvet; like butterflies, gather round a wood-laden, pillow-smothered bed; where light slices across the rings of darkness, and black sticks of earth glide upwards, in white spirals as the lamp burns out; and the shutters sheath the room as a dark igloo, or a snow-flake decorated globe.                                                                                                            

Forms thud down onto the beds; square, shadow-kissed echoes, succumbing, to the sober cries of the sleepers; who hiss in their silver, pierced ears, and call a song of doom and bliss.

Subterranean, almost; within their shadowy, dreamy thoughts; the bronze light blazes out of the beige desktop: and lights their robotic, pewter fantasies to life. Night-shaded strands of hair; flutter upwards towards the bedhead; and the snowy birds outside, twitter in their hops and hum a melody of lyrics. The notes line up like paper-chains; hued with gold, as it hangs on top a cream wall; like a flower-designed crown, and the minute rubies dot around the iron edges.                                                                                                                                                                    The inflated, dome of sunset materialises in a scenery of ire-ridden colour, and green moons; and white daisies as they lie in the summer beds; and the tall glass filled to the tip with tropical juice foams and froths; like snow, onto the balloon-textured floor.                          

When they sleep, the dark thoughts within their diaries of minds; are written into the tiny jewels of the atmosphere, as the hills darken to a navy shade of slime; and the fountain-bound pens whisk in their spiral-stitched earlobes.                                                                                  

When they sleep, the indistinctness, the invisibleness with which they flicker through the daytime: all fades away and becomes immaterial; as iced snow snapping off fallen winter leaves; and the fairies in a bloody red sunset, and black, puppet-shaped stardust: that falls like bauble hats, onto their delicate, wintery; coin-coloured heads.

A Light; Dark, Contrasting poem; demonstrating the theme of philosophy through the motifs of dreams and shadows. A tender subject of mine. The snow imagery creates a scenery around the ambiguious piece.