remember? | Teen Ink

remember?

By alyssa0401 PLATINUM, Staten Island, New York
alyssa0401 PLATINUM, Staten Island, New York

"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take."

remember?

remember when life was good and the world tasted like sunshine?

i know it seems like a while ago but i promise there was a time when laughter echoed through your home in waves of royal purple and maroon.

you weren’t afraid to sing badly or put your hair up or eat chocolate ice cream straight out of the carton.

remember?

i know this part always becomes a little blurry, but you stayed up until three in the morning while your mind began to rust and you told me secrets i wasn’t ready to hear.

i think you cried a lot and skipped school the next day because you couldn’t wash the bitter taste of regret out of your mouth.

remember?

this is the part that’s a bit dark even though dawn was breaking outside of your window but you told me to get out of your life and to go ben in hell so i walked to the nearest cafè to write away my caffeinated thoughts.

i blasted music until i could no longer hear your words and tried to remember how all of this had happened.

i guess this is just the way life unfolds sometimes.

it crumbles like a burned apple pie that ends up getting thrown away even though your followed the recipe perfectly.

i guess this is what happens when you put all of your trust into staying up past midnight.

i don’t think you answered any of my phone calls that day so i walked the seven miles to your house only to be told that you were gone.

i guess you can’t remember anything after this.