Behind The Mask | Teen Ink

Behind The Mask

By TB_WRITER SILVER, Hartford, Connecticut
TB_WRITER SILVER, Hartford, Connecticut

"Dearly Beloved, We are gathered here today to get through this thing called life."

- Prince Rogers Nelson (1958-2016)

Did you know I have a mask? Yes. I have a mask and it’s beautifully painted. It appears every time you talk to me. You wanna know why? Because I pretend like it’s all okay but in reality, it isn’t. But you wouldn’t know that because all you see is the mask. The mask tells you I’m fine. That everything is going to be fine. Fine. That’s what the mask tells you. And you, being the oblivious person you are, believe it. But, it’s not your fault. It’s a really convincing mask. Do you know what the mask hides? Oh. That’s an easy one. It hides who I truly am. It hides the fact that I’m f***ed up and twisted. It hides all pain and the anxiety I feel on a daily basis. Why am I telling you this? Because it was about time that I told somebody. I need somebody to understand me. To hear me when I say, “I’M NOT OKAY.” I want a person that can see behind the mask. Someone who can take that mask into their hands and break it. To break my mask and set me free. But, let’s be honest. Who wants to go through all that work? It’s just easier to agree and pretend everything’s okay. So, until that time comes, I’ll stay here. In this painful world, hiding all my demons behind my beautifully painted mask.

There are a lot of people out there that can connect to this piece. On the outside, they make people believe that they're fine but in reality, it's all broken underneith. I hope this gives an insight on that type of feeling. 

jakejh PLATINUM, Murphysboro, Illinois

Don't set boundaries for yourself.
Because building boundaries is only going to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

Love this... Keep up the good work.. I inspire to write like you.. Also if you have spare time feel free to read my material.