Blood | Teen Ink

Blood

By N GOLD, Eagle, Wisconsin
N GOLD, Eagle, Wisconsin

"Everything happens for a reason."

They are of the same blood, Mother and Daughter. Their blood gushes rapidly through their heart–their home. Mother’s blood is O and unconditionally positive. Her arms are Open. Mother’s blood does not travel far. It returns as the sun kisses the flat surface of the horizon.

Daughter’s blood is negative. It no longer bubbles with the frothy excitement of childhood joy. Instead, it fumes with anger. It makes mistakes. It cries. It screams. It teems with disrespect, dishonesty, distress.

Daughter’s blood is pushed out the heart’s front door. Did Daughter consent to this? Daughter never wanted this. But the valve slams behind her. The door closes. Another opens. It opens to oxygen, fresh air–it opens to freedom. The aging blood is pulled through circular currents. Arteries carry the blood further and further away from the heart. Arteries carry the blood further and further away from Mother. Arteries carry the blood further and  further away from home.

Daughter’s blood runs. But on this path it twists, it turns, it tingles with angst. Until finally… finally it stills. It’s stuck. But it can’t stay here. If the blood stays here, if it blocks the artery, it will attack the home. It will hurt Mother. It will attack the heart. No matter, Daughter is too strong. Daughter’s blood pushes on.

The vein. The vein waits for Daughter. The vein waits, it waits, it waits forever. Until finally… finally she arrives. And when she finds this new path, her blood turns The vein pulls her; it beckons her. She panics, confused. But the current takes her. The vein takes her blood closer and closer to the heart. To Mother. To home. Doubt corrupts Daughter, it corrupts her blood. Will the door open?

But Mother’s blood is O and unconditionally positive. Mother accepts all types of blood–positive, negative, A, B, AB, O. Her arms are Open.