With All My Love, Body Dysmorphia | Teen Ink

With All My Love, Body Dysmorphia

December 28, 2018
By jenna__anderson BRONZE, West Bloomfield, Michigan
jenna__anderson BRONZE, West Bloomfield, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

My Love,


It has been awhile since we last spoke. I miss you. You seem to be moving on, but that can’t be true. You need me. I want you back.


I remember the moment we met like it was yesterday. You were on Instagram, stalking that girl with the tiny waist and wide thigh-gap. You were surrounded by your friends. They began to share their numbers. 115, 110, and 98. 98! You were thinking of your number when our eyes met. From then on, I knew that we would have a strong relationship.


I know you still think of all the good times we shared. All those intimate moments in front of the mirror - naked. I showed you things you’d never seen before: stretchmarks on your thighs, a muffin-top around your hips, flab on the back of your arms, and a double-chin. I can show your more - so much more - if you take me back.


I taught you things too, like subtraction. You started with 1,800. Then you learned how to go down to 1,200. Then 1,000. Then 500. Every day, I helped you with your math. Where would you be without me?


I gave you strength. Each day when you trained, I motivated you. I gave you the will to run on. Minute after minute, faster and faster. When you wanted to stop so badly that you cried, I pushed you to keep going. When you were dripping in sweat, red as a tomato, on the verge of fainting, I still loved you. You need my support.


You can’t forget about the matching tattoos. I bet you’re looking at yours right now. On your lower abdomen, you find the words 4 oz. of salmon: 200, 2 tsp. of peanut butter: 60, 5 tbsp. of egg whites: 50, and many more. Get back together with me and we can tattoo every inch of our bodies with the words I taught you, the things you will never forget even if you tried.


You know what you need to do. Our passionate love burns like fat. I know I’m always on your mind. You called our relationship toxic. You tried to end it. But I’m always here.


With all my love,

Body Dysmorphia


The author's comments:

I struggle with a warped view of my body and an unhealthy relationship with food and exercise. I have overcome the worst of this issue but the feelings linger. For example, no matter how hard I try, I can't stop counting calories in my head. I chose to write this poem from the disease's point of view to show that, even though it's all in my mind, it feels like another person is talking to me and controlling my actions. To heal was to get rid of that voice.