Photo Album | Teen Ink

Photo Album

February 21, 2019
By bellagerkin BRONZE, Brentwood, New Hampshire
bellagerkin BRONZE, Brentwood, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I picture the day clearly in my mind. The memory coming back through certain triggers in sorts of photographs that end up making an entire photo album. A photo album is a place we store memories away until the future to shows us what we have learned. The photographs found within appear often. Leaving them fresh in my mind. As soon as the pages stop turning it always finds its way back to the beginning.

Flip

I go to bed in the same room I always had. The only light coming from the faint glow of my alarm clock.

Flip

I will always remember waking up from a strange noise in the middle of the night. Not knowing the source, a list of possibilities ran through my mind.

Flip

I see the blue flashing light studdurding through the window making the list of possibilities grow longer. My feet touched the cold floor as I reach for the door pulling it open slowing knowing I would regret what I saw.

Flip

I, frozen in the door frame watching the black and red stretcher being held by three paramedics fill the hall. I close the door as it becomes a wall preventing me from finding out the truth.

Flip

I pace the floor quickly hoping it will give me an answer but not as fast as the pace of my heart that only seemed to grow faster.

Flip

I leave my room but the ambulance is gone carrying my sister with it. My dad tells me he needs to leave too. The grandparents are coming.

Flip

I lay down crying in my sister’s bed. Smelling her makes me believe she is still there.

Flip

I hear my grandparents come in the front door but only come back to see where I am. Do they even care?

Flip

I leave her bed to get ready for school. Changed clothes and packed bag, trying to look as normal as possible. Hoping no one will see through the broken person I had become in such a short amount of time.

Flip

I stand at the door ready to leave but the image of the ambulance sitting outside the house still haunts my mind to the point where I begin to cry once more and realize I won’t be going to school.

Flip Flip Flip Flip


The photo album still turning in my head as everyday goes by.

The triggers are always changing.

Never knowing when one will arise.

One thing I do know,

my perspectives will never be the same.

One day can change a lifetime.


The author's comments:

I am a freshman at Exeter High School and I wrote this piece about a night two years ago that I will never forget.