So, What are You? | Teen Ink

So, What are You?

By taradiddle BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
taradiddle BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.” -Dr Seuss

Caucasian? No. Hispanic? No.

You tell me to check off only one race listed below, but that’s just not the case

You’re over here wondering, questioning my race

I see you staring at me, looking at me with those judgmental eyes. Questioning me, trying to pick me apart and figure out who I am

Ma’am, please let me explain-

I have pale white skin like a ghost, and hair like a lion’s mane

I come from both poverty and privilege. I come from the hood and the suburbs. I come from both love and hatred. But I cannot pick a side, I cannot choose a favorite, I am both.

I can’t understand why my race matters

Your questions keep attacking me, I feel like a batter hitting a baseball

My families don’t talk to each other, it’s not their fault though, they don’t speak the same languages, but I guess that’s just what it is

I sometimes don’t know who I am, but you only make it harder

Knowing what race I am won’t make you any smarter

I’m sorry I don’t have all the answers, I just don’t know

I guess the dictionary would label me as biracial, but that’s funny you know?

How come you know what I am, but I still don’t.

This piece was written for my high school English class, my tecaher instructed the entire class to write only one page of expressed emotions that came from the heart. Being bi-racial is something I've always stuggled with, and it's something that's hard to express. When I submitted my work to my tecaher, I thought nothing of it, it's just what I felt. When my tecaher handed my poem back to me she told me that I had express certain feelings perfectly and that it needed to be published. She mentioned this website and I though I'd give it go because I've had teacher care so much about anything I've written, it made me feel good to know that someone actually cared.