2009 | Teen Ink

2009

December 5, 2019
By sunsetlover BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
sunsetlover BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
1 article 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Look at the sky tonight. All of the stars have a reason. A reason to shine, a reason like mine..."


A rainy, gloomy, cold day

was the messenger that brought news my family’s way.

The bell rang to go home and outside my mom awaited, which was strange.

We only lived a block away.


I noticed tears running down my mother’s face.

“What’s wrong?” I pleaded,

as I watched the rain drops on the window race.

I didn’t know what to think, my mind strayed.


I remember mom taking a detour home.

We rode down 20th, South Park Ave and then Ohio street.

A feeling of distress overwhelmed us as we followed mom’s command, “get on the couch.”


Mom looked in our eyes and said,

“Daddy passed away.”

We embraced.

The veins in our necks and foreheads strained as we groaned and cried. We were in so much pain.


Your life was unrightfully, tragically taken.


The healing process is uneasy and frayed.

I miss you dad.

I miss your sweet face.

The pain of missing you exceeds what words could ever explain.

I want to make you proud.

I’ll never let the memories of you fade.


The author's comments:


I titled this poem 2009 because that was the year that my father passed away. I was 7 years old. Although I was young, I still remember that day so clearly as if it happened yesterday. To this day I still find myself grieving over the loss of my father, but through writing this I found some closure. This poem was not easy to write at all, in fact it was a very emotional process. But, I was able to write something beautiful that presents a powerful and emotional story, which I’m proud of. I  know there are many others that can relate to the loss of someone close to them, and hopefully in some way the reader can find closure, too.