You can either run from tough situations, or you can learn from them | Teen Ink

You can either run from tough situations, or you can learn from them

By ndap25 BRONZE, Prospect, Connecticut
ndap25 BRONZE, Prospect, Connecticut

Drained, 

Frustrated, 

And tired. 

So tired. 

No matter how strong a person may appear, challenges can break you down. Making you not want to try again. 

You decide if you want to run from it, or learn from it. 

When you feel like giving up, you must remind yourself of who you are. Remember your positive mentality, how you find solutions and most importantly, how you never quit. 

Monday, November 11th, 2019.

This day changed my life. It was my first varsity practice for the high school soccer team. The sun was shining, it was surprisingly warm, and there was a breeze every so often that cooled you down. My passes were on point, I had great control of the ball, then everything went upside down. I went to save the ball from going out of bounds, so I leaped high in the air and almost touched the clouds. 

Then, everything went still. I landed on the ground and saw my teammates staring at me with such fear in their eyes. 

Their mouths were moving but everything was silent. 

I ended up fracturing and displacing my ankle. Three days later, on November 14th, I had a surgery. Little did I know, this surgery was just number one out of three

Some days, these obstacles feel repetitive. Almost like the day keeps starting over and over again. While you’re in the moment, it may feel like you are lost and will never be able to come back. But you begin to look ahead and envision your future. Picture yourself doing the thing you love. The thing that makes you happy. The thing that makes you, you. So, wouldn’t you want to persevere through the hardships so you can get back to where you want to be? This change of mindset allows you to make a comeback. 

Looking back and taking into consideration how much you had to deal with. You realize how well you handled it and how you were able to push through. Yes, we struggle and even fail at times. But, failing allows you to make mistakes and learn from them. Although it may be difficult, the one thing you cannot do is give up. You can always take away a lesson from a situation you encounter. As you go on in life, you get to learn more and more information. With this knowledge, you can apply it later in the future. 

You determine your future. 

I could’ve easily given up. But what good would that have done? 

My name is Nina, I am a sophomore in high school. I had a very traumatic and terrible soccer injury that took place on 11/11/19 and is still affecting me today. I've had three surgeries and the most recent was on January 19th of this year. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I decided to turn the negative into positive and write about my journey. My goal is for my writing to help other people who may currently be going through some hardships. I want them to understand that their choices and attitude truly affects them, so why make it harder for yourself when you can just look on the bright side.

Snow_Creates BRONZE, Gurugram, Other

Anything worth doing always starts as a bad idea.

Wow! How amazing, truly something to learn from!

WolvesRain ELITE, Walton, Kentucky

"Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works." Virginia Wolf

So good! Please comment and tell me how to improve my work.