Her Crayons | Teen Ink

Her Crayons

By anthrwatcher BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
anthrwatcher BRONZE, Roslyn, New York

She was drawing a picture of a flower during art class,
making it pink, as it was her favorite color.
The boys in her class teased her often.
They would pick on her for her funny laugh,
or pull on her hair,
but she didn’t mind.
She was making this picture for her mother back at home.
Her mother would hang up all of the little girl’s pictures on the fridge.
So she continued to draw, filled with the excitement of showing her mother the drawing she's working ever so hard on.
That is, until some of the boys came up to her and took her crayons.
They took her crayons and wouldn’t give them back.
She begged, and begged for them.
But with every plea, they snapped one in half.
When they ran out of crayons to break, after they've had all of their fun, they dumped them out on her drawing, leaving a mess for her to clean up.
And so, the little girl went home that day with a box full of broken crayons.
She figured, next time she’s around boys like that, she should hide her crayons, because they would take them and break them again and again, no matter what she did.
She didn’t end up giving her drawing to her mom,
instead, she crumpled it up and put it under her bed, ashamed to have even drawn it in the first place.

I wrote this piece after thinking about how sexism is so deeply ingrained into us when growing up. Many times when we were younger, adults would excuse the behavior of boys picking on girls as "boys being boys" or "he's doing it because he likes you" when it was really crossing boundaries and inappropriate behavior. This just teaches girls at a young age, that we should accept our boundaries being crossed. Even if it is something as small as a girl getting her crayons broken apart, or her hair being pulled, everything has an impact on how you grow up and how you treat yourself. It can cause her to suppress her desires, her drawings, and feel ashamed for doing things she wants, and eventually grow up to become submissive, even unintentionally. As well as on the boy's side, it teaches them that it's okay to break boundaries without consent, even if it's as small as breaking a girl's crayons and not caring, they don't think they have done anything wrong, and it can snowball into something more significant when they are older.