My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By ilovewriting12 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
ilovewriting12 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

The name “Christian” means a follower of Christ. Although I am a follower of Christ, this is not the reason for my name. 

My name is powerful, yet composed and tame. Nine letters come together in pattern to spell out my entire existence. My name is a hand reaching out to whoever. Like a vigilante through a cold night looking for anyone who may be in need. The honor I wield while wearing my name is immense, for I was only given one. 

Though I have not always been so attached to my name, I have learned to love its presence. 

My mother and father were debating what my name would be. My mother liked the classic names like Jack and John, but everytime she would present a name to my dad he didn't like it. 

One night they were both at dinner discussing names like they always did.  Eventually, after more rejection, my mother blurted out the name Christian in frustration. “Yeah I like that”, my father replied. Just like that my name was decided—and I am so glad it stuck that way. 

As a child I hated my name. I couldn't pronounce it or spell it because of how long it was, granted I couldn't pronounce or spell a lot of things. Even when I got older I still didn't like how quick it took my friends to write their short name while I was stuck with this cluster of nine letters. 

It wasn't until around 6th or 7th grade when I realised how unique and beautiful my name was. I knew virtually no one with my name which made me feel special. The way it flowed off strangers tongue when I would first meet them reminded me of my value. It gave me confidence, as well as a sense of pride each time it was spoken.

When I think of my name, I think of the color green. Like my name, my eyes are unique as well. The only thing that made me feel more powerful than hearing my name are my green eyes. Not many people I knew had the kind of eyes I did because of how rare it is to have this feature. My mom would call me her green-eyed boy. It made me feel so loved and accepted. 

I would compare my name to a beautiful fall day. Like fall, I am very calm, cool, and inviting. The fall is when I feel the safest and happiness, so when I think of my name I think of myself in a fall setting where I am at peace. 

I'm so glad that my perspective of my name has changed throughout my life. It turns out that the nine letter cluster of words come together to make something incredible. They make me who I am and who I’ll always be. I will always be so glad to be called Christian. Since a baby and until I grow old, my name is how I will be remembered. 

I relly enjoyed writing this piece because of how creative and memorable the topic was.

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

My name is Dawn. it isn't my legal name. I choose it because I like the symbolism. spring, light, hope, dawn, Christ, etc. even though a lot of my writing is dark and depressive and all, I still love my name because I choose it (I don't love that everyone things I'm trans because it sounds like 'don', and I have short hair). Me choosing my name means to me that I define myself. I'm glad your name defines you so well.

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

I love the similies...They're beautiful...