Undercover Hero | Teen Ink

Undercover Hero

December 3, 2021
By Savannahk946 SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Savannahk946 SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
9 articles 2 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
Poetry is not meant to be read with the eyes but to be read with an elegant soul. Not to be thought about with your head but with a powerful heart.
- Savannah Kealey



                              No, this hero does not have a cape, nor a mask.  

                                Thou has something stronger, a heart of gold.  

                      Not only a heart of gold but one filled with gentle solicitous.   

         Her words fighting against my dreadful thoughts, words,  just words but more powerful than the monster trying to tear me down.  Those words full of mollifying reassurance. 

        Her reaching out to me, making sure I’m ok. One small thing making me feel wanted for the first time. Making me feel hope, something that I haven’t felt for years.  I was no longer alone. I     was fighting my battles but not on my own, I had a champion by my side. 

    One that went out of her way and never gave up on me.                                                                                                                     A dedicated educator, no other can compare.  Inspiring and motivating the hearts and minds of everyone around her. A soul dazzling and gifted. In my eyes, not another human-like this. A human, so supportive.

So charming, a smile that is contagious  

So considerate, always a helping hand to give   

So hardworking, never taking a break until the job is done

The words of who she is could go on forever, my hero an endless book of the help and courage she has given and shown me.

Those remarkable words saved my life.    

Her reaching out, being so warm-hearted, saved my life. 

The extraordinary hero, just being there when I needed someone most, saved my life.

Her  just being who she is, saved my life

I aspire to one day be like her, my hero, Mrs. Brooks.


The author's comments:

My name is savannah from Oshkosh north high school. I wrote this piece to show others that teachers can be more than just educators. They are mentors, people we can look up to, and even undercover heroes.