What's In A Name? | Teen Ink

What's In A Name?

By Egycal52 SILVER, --, California
Egycal52 SILVER, --, California

"Hats off to the past, coats off to the future."
- American Proverb
"Why do you keep hiding behind your mask,
When even the scars formed by your mistakes
are you own constellations?"

Sometimes a name just catches my attention

its meaning or its sound

I'm sure this happens to others too, so I'm asking:

What is a name that stuck in your memory?

I'll go first:

Inas means pleasant company; Inez means pure.

Eydin means enlightened; Aiden means fire.

Adan means Paradise, and Sirat means straight path to Paradise.

Lujayn means liquid silver; Hadeer means a reverberating sound, usually meaning the sound of rain.

Tarek means morning star; Tameem means Perfect.

Kairi means ocean; Kiaria means fortunate.

This is a sort of questionnaire/poem: On the one hand, I wanted to showcase some names and their meanings that I find worth sharing, especially how names can be quite similar across languages. I also wanted people to share/comment names that they find special, too. It doesn't have to be rare. Hope you enjoy!

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

I love the name 'Inez' and I've always admired the name...Happy to see it here!!!
A name that I think of as special is 'Khaniz' and it means 'treasure'...That was my grandmother's name (she passed away on May 21st/22nd, 2022)...
My name is Afra and I was given the name with the intention of it to mean 'happiness' even though, people with the name usually have an 'h' in the end like 'Afrah' for it to get the meaning 'happiness' and usually, 'Afra' without the 'h' (my name) means white or if not, doe...Names are one of a kind...And it's bizarre that one letter can change the entire meaning of a name...I still can't get it whether my name means happiness or white/doe...But, I love it...
Love this poem!!! The title made me attracted to reading this in the first place...