My Teacher | Teen Ink

My Teacher

By alissac123 SILVER, Apex, North Carolina
alissac123 SILVER, Apex, North Carolina

Like a bird humming a delicate melody in my ears, she answers our questions with thought and dedication 

She consoles our anxious chest, heart beating to the rhythm of a drum now to the tunes I sing on saturday mornings

Like the burning fire of the fireplace, she does not tolerate discrimination and disrespect towards her students

She fights against the arbitrary rules of our school, like a soldier thrown into battle, ready to sacrifice even his life for his country

Like a trustful and openhearted friend, I can shower her with my worries and concerns, knowing she will share her wisdom, like a owl piercing through the night sky

She fills the room with bubbles of joy, exposing us to happiness despite her circumstances

She is capable of so much in this world, to only be paid barely enough to pay the rent

She silently protests to this atrocity, with thousands by her side including us

But this soldier has been defeated by another

Society

Her hands are shackled together, like a bird stuffed into an iron cage

All for what

Asking for a pay raise

To take care of her own children

She is now free like the ever gliding dove across the swaying trees

But she is not with us anymore

She is gone far away from this universe

But I know she still remembers me even up in the clouds

And I will always remembers her smile, sweet as honeysuckle blooming like a new generation

Where teachers are appreciated

Hi, my name is Amruta I. and I am currently a rising freshman and am 14 years old. My roots and heritage trace back to the small villages in South India, where my parents were born. As a Indian American teenager life has a lot of obstacles to offer to try and get me to give up on my culture, but whenever I feel that way poetry is who I go to. I release all my emotions into a poem and it is my way of coping with stress and all the feelings in me. I love that poetry is so diverse just like the world around us, and it allows us to express ourselves and create an impact. Besides writing poetry I also learn and perform Indian classical dance, also known as Bharatanatyam. I started learning Bharatanatyam at the tender age of four and it has grown to become a part of me. I am very passionate towards Indian classical dance as it's further connected me to my heritage.