Caste System | Teen Ink

Caste System

By alissac123 SILVER, Apex, North Carolina
alissac123 SILVER, Apex, North Carolina

Caste

Almost sound like cast

The devils emerge from the realms of darkness

And cast a spell that makes or breaks your life

Are there really such devils who exist

For I thought the light of this world is more powerful than spirits

Maybe the real culprit of degrading one's esteem and self worth

By confining them into a social pyramid, at the bottomless pit like the mariana trench

Or high up in the clouds, like a soaring bird

Is Society

The world has made us feel inferior to others

As if we must bow our heads down never to raise them an inch

Never look them in the eye for that is disrespectful

But what is most brutish is that we can´t talk to them as if we are not educated or know how to speak, like the silent swaying trees hammered down, pleading for help but no one can hear

Is this the world we want to live in

Like we are each different species, odd featuristics, or even aliens to one another

Right now we are all but human

Humans are compassionate like the mother bird feeding her young before her own hungry stomach

Humans are considerate like the beaming rays of the sun, providing warmth and life to Earth

Humans are supportive like the faint chirping of momma bird and daddy bid, cheering for their hatchling taking its first flight

Humans are sympathetic like when the moon conceals the sun, letting it know she's there when the sun needs her to watch over the Earth

Most of all Humans are humane, looking past ones place in society, their job, their income, their skin color

But now I'm reconsidering the definition of human…

Hi, my name is Amruta I. and I am currently a rising freshman and am 14 years old. My roots and heritage trace back to the small villages in South India, where my parents were born. As a Indian American teenager life has a lot of obstacles to offer to try and get me to give up on my culture, but whenever I feel that way poetry is who I go to. I release all my emotions into a poem and it is my way of coping with stress and all the feelings in me. I love that poetry is so diverse just like the world around us, and it allows us to express ourselves and create an impact. Besides writing poetry I also learn and perform Indian classical dance, also known as Bharatanatyam. I started learning Bharatanatyam at the tender age of 4 and it has grown to become a part of me. I am very passionate towards Indian classical dance as it's further connected me to my heritage.