Labels Upon Labels | Teen Ink

Labels Upon Labels

September 6, 2022
By heyyitsgen BRONZE, Elizabeth, New Jersey
heyyitsgen BRONZE, Elizabeth, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The essence of her beauty is derived from the differences that set her apart.

Apart from the world of standards that only limits her to challenging the idea of who she is.

Rather than waging war with the idea of who she is meant to be.

Her world is shaken with an uproar of colliding controversy.

With words being outpoured like rushing tides of raging opinions.

That only lay upon her the accusation of being too little, too much, and simply not enough.

Labels upon labels.

Letters that tie together, the beginning of the constructing of words that lay upon her, and her generation.

Wounded, she refuses to build upon it.

Burdened, she comes forth to break it.

Ambitious, valiant, and hopeful, she strives to construct an irrevocable identity that sets fire to expectations.

That consuming fire, rages within her.

She no longer lives bound by the opinions that confined her to insignificance.

Burning with passion, she is in preparation.

To set the world afire with her flame.


The author's comments:

This piece was inspired by every single word that has taken up more space in my heart than I should have allowed. I hope this poem encourages you to rise above your hurts and burn with a fiery passion that drives you to discover who you truly are.