Dance of the Bird | Teen Ink

Dance of the Bird

By AnaghaTetali BRONZE, Bridgewater, New Jersey
AnaghaTetali BRONZE, Bridgewater, New Jersey

As the rain’s droplets are left on the windows, the house kettle rang for what felt like a millennium. The steam was whisked away, and I wanted to evaporate with it. 

The steam danced with the wind, all the way above the edifices, when it finally tangoed with the gray puffs pumping out the buildings. 

As the dusted sky filled with gusts from numerous constructions, a tiny bird was caught in a whirlwind of cloud-like figures. I spot the blue specked creature.

Adrenaline iced its way up my veins, my shoes pounded the pavement, as my eyes never dared dart from the bird.

Trying to catch up with the spot of blue above, fumes enveloped me. I did not try and exhale them away.

When the bird was at last overhead, I determined the best avenue of action, for both of us.

I did not desire for the creature to breath its last.

Hence, I let all the billowing smoke embrace my entrails until I could not control my own breath. 

I allowed the grayness to encase my lungs so the bird could soar to safety. So her doom was not imminent. So mine was.

My final view was the image of the now grayed creature gliding into the ash stricken sky, as the blackness gripped its hands around my throat, never letting go

I wrote this poem while outside during sunset over the course of a few days. Writing outside always gives me the most inspiration, and for this poem especially, I was inspired by a bird that landed near me and stayed there for a long time. It did not flutter away. This poem is about a bird who's only chance is to fly away.