I have never been to Italy | Teen Ink

I have never been to Italy

July 9, 2023
By synagupta_ BRONZE, Ludhiana, Other
synagupta_ BRONZE, Ludhiana, Other
2 articles 2 photos 0 comments

This summer we have been across the world through the click of a phone.

We have experienced the wine tastings and the unfortunate bidet incidents in Italy, we have been dancing with a group of oh so random people on the streets of Vermont. We have been to lake Como and we have been to the forts in duomo. We have drank the cafe lattes with the perfect foam hearts on them. This summer have lived through pictures and glimpses of the world. Yet, we have never been to Italy and we  have never ran through the streets of Europe wishing to stay away from reality. Though watching it through a screen gave me an empty and grotesque feeling, sort of gut wrenching, actually  being in  Europe could never give me that feeling. Surrounded by the beautiful tapestry woven by nature, our hearts feel full, we feel like we are smiling more than ever and laughing more than ever.The amusing company of people you have just met and experiencing the joy of nothingness really makes you question your life. Eating gelato and sitting on the beach longing for the days to never end. But that’s just my view from an Instagram story because I  have never really been to Italy.


The author's comments:

This summer was a rollercoaster of emotions for me, and through it all anytime i opened my phone all i saw was Europe stories. I just thought it was funny almost like a satire that me a person who has never actually been there has formed such an artificial connection to the place. These threads of connections carefully weave a story which appears on our phone screens, and it makes us feel distant farther away from that place than we could ever be. Describing that feeling is harder than experiencing it. Summer through my phone screen has been an epitome of joy, but i would have wanted to wait and devour the experience myself. I am not critiquing social media, it is a way of communication and it is how our generation is evolving.I would just sometimes not all the time sometimes wish that social media was not ruining life experiences for me that it was not setting me for failure. However, we are mere mortals living in a world ruled by the screens we cannot help but succumb to the social norms and expectations.