I Hate | Teen Ink

I Hate

December 18, 2009
By writersheart DIAMOND, B., California
writersheart DIAMOND, B., California
50 articles 0 photos 7 comments

I hate the way she smiles,
I hate the way she grins.
I hate the way her eyes light up
when happiness is the mood she's in.
I hate the way she effortlessly
pulls off this word called grace,
but, mostly, I hate the way she makes that look come on your face.
I hate the way I always know that you do think of her,
I hate the way that, when you do, your face gets a happy glow.
I hate the way you shut me down, just as she's walking by
I hate the way you always, ALWAYS have to say goodbye.
I hate the way you spike your hair
I hate the clothes that you wear
I hate the way, no matter what I do, you're always there
I hate the way you take my crap, and don't judge me anyway
I hate the way you say hello
I hate the way you stare.
I hate the way you always know, just how to make me smile
I hate the way I just tell you everything, just way, way out of style
I hate the way that you're so perfect
and just make me laugh
effortlessly.
I hate the way
you're everything I ever wanted to be.
I hate the way you call me friend
I hate it when you never call
and the problem is, I don't hate you
I don't hate anything at all.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 23 comments.


on Apr. 24 2011 at 9:33 pm
kelsey2097 SILVER, Boothwyn, Pennsylvania
7 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
im not a fighter im a lover, but ill fight for what i love

omg i love this so muchh!

on Jan. 19 2010 at 8:06 pm
writersheart DIAMOND, B., California
50 articles 0 photos 7 comments
OK, take it like this - when you're a little kid (or at least when I was) the way I wrote was copying JK Rowling. Not copying as in I went out and wrote the Harry Potter book and said, "mommy, mommy, look what I wrote!", I used her style, the same general concept. In this way, I got better as a writer.

Or a better example - in English class we're studying a poem called 13 Ways of Looking at a Blackbird. One of the assignments relating to this was to write a poem written just like the black bird poem.

Was it the same style? Yes. Did it use the same words? Yes. But it was OUR poems. The author of the poem can't come up to our classroom and say, "Guess what? All your poems belong to me because you're imitating my poem." No. It doesn't work like that. All of our poems, yes, were imitating the poem style, but they were all our own words and ideas.

on Jan. 19 2010 at 5:14 pm
acousticalex BRONZE, Garland, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all." Oscar Wilde

There is a clear distinction between being inspired by something and outright stealing it. That's why copyright laws exist. The poem in 10 Things I Hate About You was original because its intent was original; the fact that others have felt the same and written about the same general concept was irrelevant because 1) as you seem to be arguing, -complete- originality is unattainable in art and 2) the format was unique to the medium it was being presented in. The writers of the script were conveying a feeling about the "bird," Heath Ledger's character, in a format they came up with for the occasion, so they weren't stealing anything. For this reason your example was a logical fallacy unfitting for the discussion. The same goes for the Haiku example. Many people write Haikus about many different topics, not just nature, and those musing about nature are a product of the souls that created them. Even the ones inspired by others surely do not directly copy a huge percentage of words from the work that inspired them. Song covers like those of Beethoven and Bach are clear tributes. If the artists performing these composers' work played it and passed it off as their own, however, it would undeniably be considered stealing. You're just "trying to express [your] feelings and emotions," but conveniently through the exact same format, feeling and idea as the original work. It is stealing. As I began before, I can be hugely inspired by a Feist song and work my own voice into the music and lyrics, but if it still obviously resembles the original song people are going to say I copied it, because I did! And it's not about what others think, no, as I hypothetically did not write the song for others. But if I present it to others I have to expect the inevitable comparisons, criticisms and conclusions that overall what I wrote was not really mine in a profound artistic sense. If you're going to copy someone else's work, fine, but don't have the gall to do it openly. If the writers of the film's script saw your work there would be grounds for a lawsuit.

on Jan. 19 2010 at 9:07 am
writersheart DIAMOND, B., California
50 articles 0 photos 7 comments
You're right - how can I take inspiration from something else? In fact, I shouldn't ever write a poem trying to describe a bird, because that bird is not my original work, I'm obviously copying it. Or maybe just poetry in general. We should ban the entire art of Haiku b/c someone thought of it first and it takes absolutely no skill to just use that format and fill in your own words. Oh, and speaking of which, we should ban concerts where the great musicians play the work of Beethoven or Bach because it obviously wasn't their idea.

Secondly, you clearly misunderstand the art of poetry if you think its about flattery and praise: poetry is food for the soul. (And yes, I am quoting someone.) It's about trying to express how you feel and your emotions. Even the worst poem has the power to stand completely and utterly on its own - because it's not about praise. It's about the poem.

on Jan. 19 2010 at 1:07 am
acousticalex BRONZE, Garland, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all." Oscar Wilde

Imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery but no one ever said anything about it making good writing or art. This is a clear ripoff. Passing off someone else's work or ideas as ones own is the definitin of plagiarism. Or just a lack of creativity. I understand that it's one good way to learn but when I used to write lyrics to the melodies of other people's songs to practice my own writing I didn't play them for other people and expect praise for my talent and originality, because it takes hardly any skill or effort to copy someone.

on Jan. 18 2010 at 1:32 am
PurpleMelody GOLD, Tulsa, Oklahoma
17 articles 0 photos 20 comments
Don't be a hater he made his own.

on Jan. 18 2010 at 1:30 am
PurpleMelody GOLD, Tulsa, Oklahoma
17 articles 0 photos 20 comments
O my gosh thats what it reminded me of too!

on Jan. 18 2010 at 1:28 am
PurpleMelody GOLD, Tulsa, Oklahoma
17 articles 0 photos 20 comments
O my god this such a good poem. It brought me to tears. keep writing please.

on Jan. 17 2010 at 8:15 pm
LuLu95 PLATINUM, Denver, Colorado
32 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Oooh! Dark matter, we better bring a flashlight!"

ive been through something like this before, but if i hadnt i think this poem would have made it easy to understand how it feels. it has great description and i love it

jujums1 GOLD said...
on Jan. 17 2010 at 2:26 pm
jujums1 GOLD, New York, New York
11 articles 5 photos 15 comments
I was curious to see how the poem would end and it really is similar to the movie people already commented about. But I thought this came straight out of you, and it actually made me want to meet this so powerful "her". It's really amazing to see how others can captivate us in ways they sometimes don't imagine...

on Jan. 16 2010 at 10:09 am
literaryaddict PLATINUM, Albuquerque, New Mexico
23 articles 3 photos 157 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We're almost there and no where near it. All that matters is that we're going." Lorelai Gilmore, Gilmore Girls
"The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound." Lady Bracknell, The Importance of Being Earnest, Oscar Wilde

i really liked this poem. yes, it's similar to to 10 things i hate about you, but who cares? imitation is the highest form of flattery

on Jan. 15 2010 at 9:22 am
carmello13 BRONZE, Norfolk, Virginia
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments
wow love ur peom it really good..i really like how u took ur idea from the movie 10 thing i hate about u and put ur own words into it that was sweet

on Jan. 14 2010 at 12:30 am
writersheart DIAMOND, B., California
50 articles 0 photos 7 comments
sometimes the best way to learn is through impersonation.

on Jan. 13 2010 at 10:08 pm
acousticalex is right, and I noticed it, too. You sort of copied the poem from Ten Things I Hate About You with Heath Ledger. There were even exact lines from the movie. Maybe you haven't seen it before, but this poem was strikingly similar to the one in the movie.

Jhazy BRONZE said...
on Jan. 13 2010 at 9:45 am
Jhazy BRONZE, Miramar, Florida
1 article 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
Get with it, or get lost.

wow wow! awesome i feel like this so i know what you are talking about. so nice very nice keep it up.

INnaturegirl said...
on Jan. 11 2010 at 7:16 am
ok yeah it's like that but i still love it keep writing ur great :D

on Jan. 10 2010 at 4:16 pm
acousticalex BRONZE, Garland, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 41 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all." Oscar Wilde

What a rip-off of Ten Things I Hate About You. Sorry. It's sad that no one else caught that.

on Jan. 10 2010 at 9:07 am
dan_wills07 SILVER, Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
Live Life to the Fullest

That is excellent, poet. This tells who you are as an individual. 5 stars!

on Jan. 9 2010 at 5:28 pm
kodyz_angel PLATINUM, Onsted, Michigan
20 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
if happiness seems more like a fantasy than a reality its because the tears are blinding you from the light that is trying to shine through
by:me

i luv it. its like u want 2 hate them but u cant insted u rlly like the person. :(

on Jan. 9 2010 at 5:02 pm
Agatha25 BRONZE, Surbiton, Other
3 articles 0 photos 4 comments
this is really clever luv itxxx