I Remember Youth | Teen Ink

I Remember Youth

February 15, 2010
By enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
enchanted4yu PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
24 articles 0 photos 103 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon"


I remember eating frozen TV dinners like lasagna and linguini, and thinking they were gourmet, rich foods.
I remember sharing a flower quilted bed with my two cousins and exchanging secretes in giggles and whispers every night.
I remember snatching my grandpa’s jar of colorful, tasty jellybeans and eating them quietly while hiding behind the enormous recliner.
I remember having tea parties with my very first friend and endlessly fighting about who served the fluffiest, sweetest, and best muffins.
I remember hating my dorky, smudgy glasses and hopelessly trying to break or lose them at every chance I received.
I remember cleaning my aunt’s boat after a long weekend of fun and scorching temperatures, the smell of vinegar burning my nose and my tired arms aching from scrubbing the sides.
I remember the night my first sleepless night without my mom and dad in the same house.
I remember waking up the minute sunlight struck through my window every morning and sprinting outside in bare feet into my daddy’s arms to check on our Joshua tree.
And I remember the look of pain on my dad’s face as every morning as our tree failed to survive in the harsh desert climate that was my home in Lancaster, California.


The author's comments:
This poem is was very fun and inspiring for me to write. It required me to reach back into my memories from when I a child, and put those feeling on paper. I hope that teens will read this and reflect on their childhood. Because, the truth is, childhood passes much too quickly and we must hold onto it as long as we can.