A Foreign Language | Teen Ink

A Foreign Language

By eva1543 BRONZE, Palisades, New York
eva1543 BRONZE, Palisades, New York

The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides, gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And, on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire.
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Communicating in such a way inaudible to the human ear,
indistinguishable to the tongue,
but discerning to the rhythmic beat of the heart.
Sometimes it gets lonesome, though.

If only you were able to see the world through their eyes.
The view wouldn't be nearly as impeccable;
trying to stare through rusted, chiseled chain links
at a world you know to be tainted.
Staring through a musky fog
contaminated with the world's most inexplicable flaws.
Only you see the potential of a perfection
now masked by harmful pollutants.
Only you push for the fog to clear,
but you stand solemn in your efforts to release a world trapped by an ever-enlarging shadow.

Not many speak the language that is native only to the heart.
rather they speak a language more common,
easier to follow,
easier to understand.
It may not be full of morals and convictions,
but it does allow for a clearer path,
without many pebbles and sticks and stones to cause falls and scraped knees and a wounded soul.

But you,
your heart beats in a most unique way.
Beats to a different melody,
and speaks of the man who lives most nobly,
and awakes to a burning desire to make something of the day before him.
A limitless ocean bounded only by an endless horizon.
not all can stand before the intimidating presence of a vast sea.

It's lonely again.
When it's just you and the ocean.
Suddenly you're as small as the obsidian shell
that lays beside the musical waves,
alone.

One day,
a heart will beat as yours does.
A fervent passion to match the spark ignited in your soul,
and your beating melodies will drum together in tandem.
one day.

I hope people will find solace and comfort in knowing that it is okay to see the world differently, to stand beside your values, even if you sometimes feel that it places you in an endless battle against the world before you. I have learned, unfortunately, that the world is often corrupt and robs us of happiness by eliminating what is "right" and just. Though this may seem like a cliche lesson, what is uncommon in everyday life is a person who is willing to stand up and fight for what is right, especially when that means putting yourself on the line. Sometimes, it may even feel like it would just be easier to sit back like everyone else and allow for injustices to occur. However, with this poem, I hope people understand that while this may be the easier route, sticking with your values will be recognized and those who come to be the most important people in your life will stand beside you and see the world as you do, in the way you know it can be if you're up for the challenge. Though fighting cruelties may make you feel isolated, there are select people who you will forever hold in your heart because you did what was "right." I was inspired by a situation in which I stood up what was right, and though many may have agreed that what was happening was wrong, they feared to take action. I am now, over a year later, still facing repercussions for my actions, but have built a significant, sincere relationship with those who I stood up for. Even if this piece is not published, I only hope and pray that someone, somewhere, will find comfort in my words. Thank you :)