I Wish This Is What You Said | Teen Ink

I Wish This Is What You Said

By hopelessly_hopeless SILVER, Windham, New York
hopelessly_hopeless SILVER, Windham, New York

"We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun." - Terry Jacks

I regret all of the things I have said,
I regret all of the things I have done.
But, what I regret the most?
What came out of my mouth,
When we were done.
It's a hard thing to grasp,
That you can still hate yourself
Even after the problem is a lost song.
But, this is what I have to say,
And, I'm sorry it took this long:

I'm sorry for all of the things I told people about you.
About things that weren't even true.
I'm sorry I ran you out of the school,
Without even saying adieu.
I'd like to tell you this in person,
But I'm afraid of what you'd think of me.
I'd like to tell everyone the truth,
Except, I don't have any dignity.
But, if I had any left within,
A mailbox, I'd be shoving this letter in.

Long story... 

This girl told me that she was raped... So, I incessantly told her that she must tell an adult figure... Someone that can do something about it. Anyways, she refused to, and told me that she was a "big girl" and that she "can handle this." So, I "accidentally" showed my mother(who's a mandated reporter) and she told the principal and so on. This girl told everyone in the school that I made up a rumor that she was raped(which is complete and total bullshit). Everyone hated me after that. They spat and threw pencils at me. I was bullied every day. She essentially ran me out of the school. SO, this is what I wish she had said to me. 

RedFeather GOLD, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Prose is like walking but poetry is like dancing.
—Paul Valery, poet (1871 - 1945)

I'm not sure exactly what this poem is about - not that it's unclear. Is it betraying a friend? It makes me think of me and my best friend. We met in second grade and did everything together. Then, in third grade, there was a new girl, and I felt sorry for her because she had no friends in the class, so I talked with her. I found out that we had lots in common, but my best friend got jealous or something. I'm not sure how it went after that - just that there were a lot of rumors about me going around that she started, and I had no friends at all until middle school because that other girl moved away. I was too stupid or something to realize that it was my fault sooner, I just blamed her and was hurt and confused.

But now, I don't. It was my fault really, and I should have apologized earlier. I don't blame her, I'm not mad at her, and I actually would like to be friends again, and I'm sure that your friend feels the same way. True friendship never completely goes away, even if it's clouded by anger for a while.